to FACULTY & STAFF
Dr. J.C. Rodriguez-Lecompte
PhD (University of Prince Edward Island)
Director of Poultry Research Unit
Animal Science Building
Winnipeg Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
Facsimile: (204) 474-7628
- Nutritional embryology strategies for epigenetic modulation
- Nutritional Intervention, Mucosal Immunity and Health Status
- Immuno-modulation and Disease Resistance
- Intestinal Innate immunity
- Angiogenesis and wound healing
- Efficiency of DNA vaccines
My laboratory research focus is nutritional immunology of avian species. Our research will manipulate key gene expression pathways of the avian immune system to: (a) enhance the immunity of the chick embryo through nutrition; (b) increase adult bird resistance to disease; and (c) use nutritional manipulation for improved production of recombinant vaccines. Improved food safety and reduced use of antibiotics are driving research efforts to enhance the immune system via non-therapeutic means. An important mechanism to achieve this goal is through nutrition. Nutrients, such as vitamins, can interact directly with gene promoter sequences that regulate the expression of cytokines and chemokines in the immune system. It is, therefore, possible to selectively up-regulate key immune pathways that will enhance the immunity of the embryo so that the chick is more resistant to: infections by pathogens, (e.g. Clostridium perfringens.), increase the innate immunity of the gut resulting in reduced food pathogen (e.g., Salmonella, Campylobacter) shedding; and improve immunity of the respiratory system against viral infections like avian influenza.
My laboratory seeks to understand the relationships between host and viruses in the animal gut microenvironment to elucidate the mechanisms behind the interaction of pathogens such as viruses and immune system in the animal gut. My research focuses on the nutritional immunological factors regulating immune-responses and animal health, including nutrients, bioactive supply, and diseases states, such as immune suppressive diseases. I have extended our research through of the stimulation of intestinal innate immunity in avian species to determine their effect on intestinal colonization by Clostridium perfringens,and investigating immune related effects on intestinal epithelial cells.
Alexander Yitbarek, Research Assistant
Angela Kroeker, MSc Student. Project: Systemic immune responses to intestinal-derived lipopolysaccharide (LPS) during subacute ruminal acidosis (SARA) and their possible role in innate immunityHarold Echeverry, MSc Student. Project: ‘Effect of different carbohydrate and nucleotide derivatives from yeast products, including distillers dried grains with solubles DDGS, on innate and acquired immunity using a chicken B cells model: In vitro and in vivo studies’. Peris Munyaka, MSc Student. Project: Immunocompetence in young and old laying hens in response to dietary folic acid and LPS Omar Abu-Dahab, MSc Students. Project: Nutritional Immunology in the industry Recent
Papers and Publications
Rodriguez-Lecompte JC, Shekhar S, and Joseph T. 2010. Chapter 9: Zoonotic Implications of Avian and swine influenza. Zoonoses book. CABI (Denis Krause Editor)
- Yitbarek A, H. Echeverry, Brady J, Hernandez-Doria J, Camelo-Jaimes G, Sharif S, Guenter W, House JD, and Rodriguez-Lecompte JC. 2012. Innate immune response to yeast derived carbohydrates in broiler chickens fed organic diets and challenged with Clostridium perfringens. Poult Sci. 91(5):1105-12.
- Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Yitbarek A., Brady J., Sharif S., Cavanagh M.D., Crow G., Guenter W., House J.D., and Camelo-Jaimes G.,. 2012. The effect of microbial-nutrient interaction on the immune system of young chicks following early probiotic and organic acids administration. (Accepted J Anim Sci, December 2011).
- Li S., Khafipour E,Krause D.O., Kroeker A., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Gozho G.N., and Plaizier J.C. 2012. Effects of subacute ruminal acidosis challenges on fermentation and endotoxins in the rumen and hindgut of dairy cows. J Dairy Sc.95 (1): 294-303.
- Tactacan G.B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C, O, K., and House J. D. 2012. The adaptive transport of folic acid in the intestine of laying hens with increased supplementation of dietary folic acid. Poult Sci. 91 (1):121-128.
- Trindade Neto M. A., Pacheco B. H. C, Albuquerque R., Schammass E.A. and Rodriguez-Lecompte J. C. 2011. Dietary effects of chelated zinc supplementation and lysine levels on early and late performance and egg quality in Isa-Brown laying hens. Poult Sci. 90 (12):2837-44.
- Woyengo T.A., Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Adelona O. and Nyachoti C.M. 2011. Histomorphology and small intestinal sodium-dependent glucose transporter 1 gene expression in piglets fed phytic acid and phytase-supplemented diets. J Anim Sci.89(8):2485-90
- Hirota JA., Ask K., Farkas L., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Lauzon A_M, Gauldie J., Kolb M., Inman M.D. 2011. In vivo role of platele derived growth factor-BB in airway smooth muscle proliferation in mouse lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 45(3):566-72.
- Tactacan G.B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C, O, K., and House J. D. 2011. Functional Characterization of Folic Acid Transport in the Intestine of Laying Hen. Poult Sci. 90 (1): 83-90.
- Li S., Khafipour E., Krause D, Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., and Plaizier J.C. 2010. Free endotoxins in the feces of lactating dairy cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 90: 591-594.
- Brady J., Hernandez-Doria J.D., Bennett C, Guenter W, House J.D., and Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C. 2010. Toxinotyping of necrotic enteritis producing and commensal isolates of Clostridium perfringens from chickens fed organic diets. Avian Pathology 39: 6, 475- 481.
- Jing M., Tactacan G. B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Kroeker A., and House J. D. 2010. Molecular cloning and tissueexpression patterns of proton-coupled folate transporter (PCFT) and effects of dietary folate supplementation on the expression of PCFT in laying hens. Br Poult Sci. 51(5):635-8.
- Tactacan G. B, Jing, M., Thiessen S., Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., O’Connor, D. L., Guenter W. and House J. D. 2010. Characterization of Folate-Dependent Enzymes and Indices of Folate Status in Laying Hens Supplemented with Dietary Folic Acid or 5-Methyltetrahydrofolate. Poult Sci. 89(4):688-96.
- Patel P, West-Mays J, Kolb M, Rodrigues J.C., Hoff C.H, Margetts P.J. 2010. Platelet Derived Growth Factor B and Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition of Peritoneal Mesothelial Cells. Matrix Biol. 29(2): 97-106.
- Jing M., Tactacan G. B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Kroeker A., and House J. D. 2009. Molecular Cloning and Tissues Distribution of Reduced Folate Carrier and Effect of dietary Folate Supplementation on the Expression of RFC in Laying Hens. Poult Sci. 88(9):1939-47.
- Zhang Z., Kebreab E., Jing M., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Kuehn R., Flintoft M. and House J.D. 2009 Impairments in pyridoxine-dependent sulphur amino acid metabolism are highly sensitive to the degree of vitamin B6 deﬁciency and repletion in the pig. Animal 3:6, pp 826–837.
- Tactacan G.B, Guenter W, Lewis N, Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., and House J.D. 2009. Performance and Welfare of Laying Hens in Conventional and Enriched Cages. Poult Sci. 88(4): 698-707.
- Cina D, Patel P, Bethune C, Thoma J, Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Holmes C.J., Hoff C.M., Margetts P.J. 2009. Peritonealmorphological and functional changes associated with platelet-derived growth factor B. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 24(2): 448-57.
- Munyaka P., Tactaman G., O K., House JD., and Rodriguez Lecompte J.C. 2011. Effects of dietary folic acid supplementation and Lipopolysaccharide on systemic acute immune response of young laying hens. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:71*.
- Yitbarek A., Echeverry HM, Munyaka P., Carmelo-Jaimes G., Sharif S., Guenter W., House J.D., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C. 2011. Supplementation of broiler diets with functional yeast-derivate macromolecules on local and systemic toll-like receptors and cytokines profiles. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:70*.
- Munyaka P., Echeverry H.M., Yitbarek A., Carmelo-Jaimes G., Sharif S., Guenter W., House J.D., and Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C. 2011. Performance and innate immune system responses of chickens fed with yeast-derivate carbohydrates. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:71*.
- Tactacan G. B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., O K., and House J. D. 2011. The regulation of intestinal folic acid absorption in the laying hen supplemented with increased levels of dietary folic acid. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:171 *.
- Yitbarek A, Brady J, Echeverry H, Hernandez-Doria JD, Sharif S, Guenter W, House J.D, and Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C. 2011. Toll-like receptors and cytokines profile of necrotic enteritis-producing of Clostridium perfringens from chickens fed organic diets supplemented with MOS. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:85*.
- Echeverry H, Yitbarek A, Munyaka P, Alizadeh M, Wang P, O K, and Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C. 2011. Low inclusion of a blend of organic trace mineral (Zn, Cu, Fe, and Mn) to broiler chickens diet is able to regulate oxidative stress. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:p39.
- Alizadeh M., Rogiewicz A., Echeverry H., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Slominski B.A. 2011. The effects of distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) and yeast-derived products on growth performance and gut morphology of broilers. Poult. Sci. Vol. 90 E-Suppl 1:60*.
- Li S., Kroeker A., O’Gorman E., Krause D.O., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Plaizier J.C. 2010. Diagnosis of subacute ruminal acidosis (SARA) using the optium Xceed diabetes monitoring system. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 93, E-Suppl. 1: 434 *
- Li S., Kroeker A., Khafipour E., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Krause D.O., Plaizier J.C. 2010. Effects of subacute ruminal acidosis challenges on lipopolysaccharide endotoxin (LPS) in the rumen, cecum, and feces of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 93, E-Suppl. 1: 433 *
- Kroeker A. D., Li S., Shekhar S., Ceballos A., Krause D. O., Plaizier J. C., and Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C. 2010. Characterization of immune and metabolic responses in the blood of dry cows induced with subacute ruminal acidosis (SARA). J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 93, E-Suppl. 1: 765*.
- Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Brady J., Camelo-Jaimes G., Sharif S., Crow G., Ramirez-Yanez G., Guenter W. and House J.D. 2010. Intestinal Characterization of Avian Defensins and Cytokines after the early administration of Probiotic with Organic Acids in Broilers. Avian Immunology Research Group, October 7-10, 2010, Budapest, Hungary*. (ARDI-MEF-Alltech).
- Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Brady .J, Camelo-Jaimes G., Sharif S., Crow G., Ramirez-Yanez G., Guenter W., and House J.D. 2010. Effect of microbial-nutrition interaction on chicken immune system after the early administration of probiotic with organic acids in young chicks. Poult. Sci. Vol. 89, E-Suppl 1:546.
- Woyengo T.A, Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., Adelona O. and Nyachoti C.M. 2010 Histomorphology and small intestinal sodium-dependent glucose transporter 1 gene expression in piglets fed phytic acid and phytase-supplemented diets. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 88, E-Suppl. 2: 285*.
- Tactacan G.B., Jing M., Thiessen S., O’Connor D.L., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Guenter W. and House J.D. 2009 Egg folate concentration and indices of production and folate status in laying hens supplemented with dietary folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Poult. Sci. 88 (Suppl. 1):18*
- Tactacan G.B., Jing M., Thiessen S., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Guenter W. and House J.D. 2009. Biochemical and molecular characterization of folate-dependent enzymes in laying hens supplemented with dietary folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate. Poult. Sci. 88 (Suppl. 1):102*.
- Jing M., Tactacan G. B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Kroeker A., and House J. D. 2009. Molecular cloning and tissuedistribution of proton-coupled folate transporter (PCFT) and impact of dietary folate supplementation on the PCFT mRNA expression in laying hens Poult. Sci. 88 (Suppl. 1):103*
- Jing M., Tactacan G. B., Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Kroeker A., and House J. D. 2009. Molecular characterization, tissue distribution and gene expression of reduced folate carrier in laying hens fed the supplemented diet. Poult. Sci. 88 (Suppl. 1): 18 *
- Woods JP, Kruth S, Barry M, Gyorffy S, Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Gauldie J. 2008. Autologous Dendritic Cell Vaccination of Dogs with Oral Melanoma Using Human gp100 Antigen. J Vet Intern Med, 22(3):687-824. (Abstract 237) *
- Rodríguez-Lecompte J.C., House J.D., Jing M., Bandegan A., and Guenter W. 2008. Molecular Cloning and Characterization of a New Class of Microbicidal Protein Involved in Innate Immunity in Chickens. 10th Avian Immunology Research Group. June 24-27, 2008. Sea World Nara Resort, Queensland, Australia*.
- Woods J. P, Kruth S, Barry M, Gyorffy S, Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., Gauldie J. 2008. Autologous Dendritic Cell Vaccination of Dogs with Oral Melanoma Using Human gp100 Antigen. European Society of Veterinary Oncology (ESVONC). February 28 – March 1, 2008, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen*.
- Margetts P.J., Hoff CM, Rodriguez-Lecompte J.C., and Patel P. 2007. Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF) B Induces Angiogenesis and Epithelial Mesenchymal Transition (EMT) in the Peritoneum Independent of SMAD3 Signaling. American Society of Nephrology. Renal Week. October 31-November 5, 2007, Moscone Center, San Francisco, California*.
- Tactacan, G. B., Guenter, W., Lewis, N. J., Rodriguez-Lecompte, J.C., and House, J. D. 2007. Laying Hens in Conventional and Enriched Cages. Poultry Science Association (PSA), July 8-12, 2007, San Antonio, TX, USA*.
- Tactacan, G. B., Guenter, W., Lewis, N. J., Rodriguez-Lecompte, J.C., and House, J. D. Laying Hens in Conventional and Enriched Cages. Canadian Society of Animal Sciences (CSAS). June 18-21, 2007, Winnipeg, MB, Canada*.
0700 Poultry Production and Management (Term
Avian Production Systems
- Course Outline (PDF)
ANSC 7530 Avian Immunology
- Course Outline