The University of Manitoba will issue an invoice on behalf of a student who is sponsored by an outside organization such as First Nations, employers and government agencies as a service to students and sponsors. To be eligible for third-party billing, sponsoring agencies and students must review the information below and submit a sponsorship form prior to the start of each term. If there are any changes to the sponsor information, authorized coverage or addition of new sponsored students during the year a new form must be submitted prior to the start of the term. Changes for the current term will not be accepted after the revision period applicable to the term. http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/deadlines/
Acceptance of third-party billing is at the discretion of the University of Manitoba,
The completed sponsorship form authorizes the University of Manitoba to invoice the agency for tuition and related fees for the students listed in the request.
Sponsorship Agency Form(PDF document)
Sponsoring agencies must send the completed form to:
Revenue, General and Student Accounting
315 Administration Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2
FAX: (204) 474-7501
The University of Manitoba considers the submission of the sponsorship form to be a binding commitment for the sponsorship of the student. Restrictions and contingencies will not be accepted. The issuance of credit to a sponsor is at the discretion of the University of Manitoba. Sponsors who have delayed payment of student accounts in past terms will not be accepted without an advance deposit, the amount to will be determined by the University, at least 10 days prior to the start of each term.
If a sponsorship form is not received prior to each term fee payment deadline, the student is responsible for:
• paying their outstanding account with the university by the payment deadline
• receiving reimbursement directly from their sponsor
• any late payment penalties assessed
Invoices will be issued approximately 1 - 2 weeks after the course revision period has closed (click here to see the dates). Invoices for Spring / Summer term will be issued throughout the term.
Obligations and Procedures
1. The sponsoring agency must complete a Sponsorship Authorization form. (Please identify the terms being covered by placing a check mark in the applicable boxes)
2. If books and supplies are included, the sponsor must also submit the form directly to the bookstore. Further information, including contact details can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/bookstore/textbooks/
3. Payment must be made upon receipt of the invoice. If payment is not received, late payment penalties, per student, will be added to the next term’s billing.
4. If payment is not received within 30 days of billing, a hold will be placed on the sponsored student’s account that prevents further registration, library access, release of grades or transcripts and other administrative/academic services.
5. If payment is not received within 90 days of billing, sponsorships for future terms will not be accepted until the account is paid in full a deposit for future terms is received.
6. Any restrictions or contingencies on the authorization are not allowed. For example, if the sponsor requires proof of attendance, grades, transcripts or notification of class withdrawals before paying, the University will not authorize the third-party billing. In such cases the student is responsible for paying their fees and should request reimbursement from the sponsoring agency.
7. Transcripts must be obtained via the Registrar’s Office only. Further information can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/transcripts/
8. Cost estimates/fee information can be found at http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/fees/986.html
9. Class attendance at the university level is not mandatory, and is therefore, not recorded. When a sponsor does require this information, arrangements must be made in advance and it is the student’s responsibility to have their instructors complete any required forms.
1. The sole and final responsibility for payment of the account lies directly with the student. Should a sponsor fail to remit sponsorship application or payment of fees, the student will be subject the University of Manitoba’s standard collection proceedings, which includes but is not limited to:
• account holds, denied access to administrative and academic services
• late payment charges
• Deregistration from future terms
2. Application fees are the responsibility of the student and will not be invoiced to a sponsor
3. Students must not delay payment of fees in anticipation of third-party sponsorships. Any late payment fees which accrue prior to the authorization of a sponsorship arrangement will not be reversed. While sponsors do not typically cover late payment penalties, if they are a result of the sponsor sending in a late application the charges will not be reversed.
4. If a sponsor requires proof of enrolment, the student can obtain this at http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/transcripts/proof_of_registration.html
5. Students will still receive general notifications via Aurora Student or their University of Manitoba email accounts regarding general university payment deadlines.
6. If a student has prepaid their account, received a government student loan or a scholarship/bursary and the sponsor payment results in a credit balance, the student may request a refund by sending an email to Refund_Request@umanitoba.ca.
7. The student is responsible for providing additional information such as grades or attendance to the sponsor if the sponsor requires the information.
8. The student is responsible for opting out of UMSU Health and Dental Coverage at http://www.umsu.ca/services/health-dental-insurance/opt-out
9. The transfer of funds from an RESP to the University is not considered a form of sponsorship.
10. Charges for documents required by a sponsor are the responsibility of the student and will not be invoiced to a sponsor.