The Senate Committee on Appeals Policy (the “Policy”) and related Procedures (the “Procedures”) provide guidance to those individuals charged with determining appeals from decisions of Faculty/School Councils or their Appeal Bodies, of Professional Unsuitability Committees, of Faculty/School Award Selection Committees and of the Comité d’appels de l’Université de Saint-Boniface upon application by Appellants, except those pertaining to decisions on admission, tuition, disciplinary matter or human rights issues.
Terms of Reference:
There shall be a Senate Committee on Appeals:
a) from which Panels shall be established to hear appeals as set out in the Procedures;
b) that shall make decisions on appealable matters that shall be final and binding;
c) that shall review the Policy and Procedures periodically and, if necessary, recommend changes.
1. One (1) member holding academic appointment in the University appointed Chair for a three (3) year term by the Senate Executive Committee
2. Two (2) members of the Committee, from those academic members appointed by Senate, to be appointed as Vice-Chairs by the Senate Executive Committee for a three (3) year term. The Vice-Chairs shall not be from the same Faculty or School as either the Chair or each other
3. Three (3) members from amongst Deans of Faculties or Colleges and Directors of Schools appointed by the President (considered academic members for the purpose of the Policy and Procedures)
4. Five (5) members of Senate, holding academic appointments in the University, nominated by the Senate Committee on Nominations and appointed by Senate
5. Six (6) members holding academic appointments in the University, nominated by the Senate Committee on Nominations and appointed by Senate
6. The President of UMSU (or designate)
7. Four (4) undergraduate students from different Faculties or Schools, and two (2) graduate students nominated by the Senate Committee on Nominations and appointed by Senate
8. One (1) academic member appointed by Université de Saint-Boniface and one (1) student appointed by Université de Saint-Boniface
The Senate Committee on Appeals acts in accordance with the established Policy and Procedures.
Amended by Senate May 20. 1987
Amended by Senate May 20, 1988
Amended by Senate September 7, 1988
Amended by Senate February 1, 1989
Amended by Senate April 5, 2000
Amended by Senate July 1, 2012
Revised by Senate November 5, 2014
Revised by Senate February 3, 2016