Ph.D. (University of Guelph)
Livestock Nutrition/Nutritional Biochemistry (non-ruminant)
Room 227, Animal Science Building
12 Dafoe Road
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T2N2 Canada
Telephone: +1 (204) 474-8188 Facsimile: +1 (204) 474-7682
Recent Papers and Publications:
30) Yang C., X. Yang, D. Lackeyram, T.C. Rideout, Z. Wang, B. Stoll, Y. Yin, D.G. Burrin, and M.Z. Fan. (2016) Expression of apical Na+-L-glutamine co-transport activity, B0 transporter B0AT1, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 and SLC6A19 along the jejunal crypt-villus axis in young pigs fed a liquid formula. Amino acids, In press.
29) Zuo J., B. Ling, L. Long, T. Li, L. Lahaye, C. Yang, and D. Feng. (2015) Effect of dietary supplementation with a protease on the growth performance, nutrient digestibility, intestinal morphology, digestive enzymes and gene expression in weaned piglets. Animal Nutrition, 276-282.
28) Xiong X., H. Yang, B. Tan, C. Yang, M. Wu, G. Liu, S. W. Kim, T. Li, L. Li, J. Wang, G. Wu, and Y. Yin. (2015). Differential effect of early-weaning on energy metabolism along the crypt-villus axis in pig small intestine. American Journal of Physiology-Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, 309: G229-237.
27) Yang C., M.A.K. Chowdhury, Y. Hou, and J. Gong. (2015). Phytogenic compounds as alternatives to in-feed antibiotics: potentials and challenges in application. Pathogens 4:137-156.
26) Mine Y., D. Young, and C. Yang. (2014). Antioxidative stress effect of phosphoserine dimers is mediated via activation of the Nrf2 signaling pathway. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 59:303-314.
25) Yang C., P. Rupa, H. Kanatani, A. Nakamura, M. Ibuki, and Y. Mine. (2013). Therapeutic effect of β -1, 4-mannobiose in a Balb/c mouse model of intranasally-induced pollen allergy. Allergology International 62:65-76.
24) Yang C., P. Rupa, H. Kanatani, A. Nakamura, M. Ibuki, and Y. Mine. (2013). Prophylaxis of intranasally-induced pollen allergy in a Balb/c mouse model using β -1, 4-mannobiose. Allergology International 62:53-64.
23) Zhang T., C. Yang, P. Babu, B. Zhang, and Y. Mine. (2012). Inhibitory effects of Quillaja saponin on IgE-mediated degranulation of rat basophilic leukemia RBL-2H3 cells. Journal of Functional Foods 4:864-871.
22) Gong J., and C. Yang. Advances in the methods for studying gut microbiota and their relevance to the research of dietary fiber functions. (2012). Food Research International 48:916-929.
21) Xu C., C. Yang, Y. Yin, J. Liu, and Y. Mine. Phosphopeptides (PPPs) from hen egg yolk phosvitin exert anti-inflammatory actitity via modulation of cytokine expression. (2012). Journal of Functional Foods 4:718-716.
20) Yang C., D.M. Albin, Z. Wang, B. Stoll, D. Lackeyram, K.C. Swanson, Y.L. Yin, K.A. Tappenden, Y. Mine, R.Y. Yada, D.G. Burrin, and M.Z. Fan. (2011). Apical Na+-D-glucose co-transporter 1 (SGLT1) activity and protein abundance are expressed along the jejunal crypt-villus axis in the neonatal pig. American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 300: G60-G70.
19) Lackeyram D, C. Yang, T. Archbold, K.C. Swanson, and M.Z. Fan. (2010). Early weaning reduces small intestinal alkaline phosphatase expression in pigs. The Journal of Nutrition 140:461-468.
18) Kim C., J.A. Kovacs-Nolan, C. Yang, T. Archbold, M.Z. Fan, and Y. Mine. (2010). L-Tryptophan exhibits therapeutic function in a porcine model of dextran sodium sulfate (DSS)-induced colitis. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 21:468-475.
17) Yang M., C. Yang, and Y. Mine. (2010). Multiple T-cell epitope peptides suppresses allergic responses in egg allergy mouse model by elicitation of FOXP3 and TGFβ - associated mechanisms. Clinical & Experimental Allergy 40:668-678.
16) Yang M., C. Yang, F. Nau, M. Pasco, L.R. Juneja, T. Okubo, and Y. Mine. (2009). Immunomodulatory effects of egg white enzymatic hydrolysates containing immunodominant epitopes in a BALB/c mouse model of egg allergy. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 57:2241–2248.
15) Kim C., J.A. Kovacs-Nolan, C. Yang, T. Archbold, M.Z. Fan, and Y. Mine. (2009). L-Cysteine supplementation reduces local inflammation and restores gut homeostasis in a dextran sodium sulfate (DSS)-induced porcine model of colitis. Biochemica and Biophysica Acta 1790:1161-1169.
14) Lee M., J.A. Kovacs-Nolan, C. Yang, T. Archbold, M.Z. Fan, and Y. Mine. (2009). Hen egg lysozyme attenuates inflammation and modulates local gene expression in a porcine model of dextran sodium sulfate (DSS)-induced colitis. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 57:2233-2240.
13) Yang, X., C. Yang, A. Farberman, T. C. Rideout, C. F. M. de Lange, J. France and M.Z. Fan. (2008). The Mammalian target of rapamycin-signaling pathway in regulating metabolism and growth. Journal of Animal Science 86 (E. Suppl.): E36-E50.
12) Yang H., A. K. Li,. Y.L. Yin, T.J. Li, Z.R. Wang, G. Wu, R.L. Huang, X.F. Kong, C. Yang, P. Kang, J. Deng, S.X. Wang, B.E. Tan, Q. Hu, F.F. Xing, X. Wu, Q.H. He, K. Yao, Z.J. Liu, Z.R. Tang, F.G. Yin, Z.Y. Deng, M.Y. Xie and M.Z. Fan. (2007). True phosphorus digestibility and the endogenous phosphorus outputs associated with brown rice for weanling pigs measured by the simple linear regression analysis technique. Animal 1:213-220.
11) Kong X.F., G. Wu,Y.P. Liao, Z.P. Hou, H.J. Liu, F.G. Yin, T.J. Li, R.L. Huang, Y.M. Zhang, D. Deng, M.Y. Xie, Z.Y. Deng, H. Xiong, Z. Ruan, P. Kang, C. Yang, Y.L. Yin and M.Z. Fan. (2007). Dietary supplementation with Chinese herbal ultra-fine powder enhances cellular and humoral immunity in early-weaned piglets. Livestock Science 108:94-98.
10) Kong X.F., G.Y. Wu, Y.P. Liao, Z.P. Hou, H.J. Liu, F.G. Yin, T.J. Li, R.L. Huang, Y.M. Zhang, D. Deng, P. Kang, R.X. Wang, Z.Y. Tang, C. Yang, Z.Y. Deng, H. Xiong, W.Y. Chu, Z. Ruan, M.Y. Xie, Y.L. Yin. (2007). Effects of Chinese herbal ultra-fine power as a dietary additive on growth performance, serum metabolites and intestinal health in early-weaned piglets. Livestock Science 108:272-275.
9) Li L.L., Z.P. Hou, Y.L. Yin, Y.H. Liu, D.X. Hou, B. Zhang, G.Y. Wu, S.W. Kim, M.Z. Fan, C. Yang, X.F. Kong, Z.R. Tang, H.Z. Peng, D. Deng, Z.Y. Deng, M.Y. Xie, H. Xiong, P. Kang and S.X. Wang. (2007). Intramuscular administration of zinc metallothionein to preslaughter stressed pigs improves anti-oxidative status and pork quality. Asian-Australian Journal of Animal Sciences 20:761-767.
8) Gong J., W. Si, R.J. Forster, R. Huang, H. Yu, Y. Yin, C. Yang, and Y. Han. (2007). 16S rRNA gene-based analysis of mucosa-associated bacterial community and phylogeny in the chicken gastrointestinal tracts: from crops to ceca. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 59: 147-157.
7) Huang R., Z. Deng, C. Yang, Y. Yin, M. Xie, G. Wu, T. Li, L. Li, Z. Tang, P. Kang, Z. Hou, D. Deng, H. Xiang, X. Kong, Y. Guo. (2007). Dietary oligochitosan supplementation enhances immune function of broilers. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 87:153-159.
6) Kong X., Y. Hu, Y. Yin, G. Wu, R. Rui, D. Wang, and C. Yang. (2006). Chinese herbal ingredients are effective immune stimulators for chickens infected with the Newcastle disease virus. Poultry Science 85:2169-2175.
5) Cai T., L. Jiang, C. Yang, and K. Huang. (2006). Application of real-time PCR for quantitative detection of Vibrio parahaemolyticus from seafood in eastern China. FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology 46:180-186.
4) Yang C., A.K. Li, Y.L. Yin, R.L. Huang, T.J. Li, L.L. Li, .P. Liao, Z.Y. Deng, J. Zhang, B. Wang, Y.G. Zhang, X. Yang, J. Peng, and M.Z. Fan. (2005). Effects of dietary supplementation of cysteamine on growth performance, carcass quality, serum hormones and gastric ulcer in finishing pigs. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 85:1947-1952.
3) Yang C., Y. Jiang, K. Huang, C. Zhu, Y. Yin, J. Gong, and H. Yu. (2005). A real time PCR assay for the detection and quantitation of Campylobacter jejuni using SYBR Green I and the Lightcycler. Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine 77:125-132.
2) Tang Z.R., Y.L. Yin, M.C.M. Nyachoti, R.L. Huang, T.J. Li, C. Yang, X.J. Yang, J. Gong, J. Peng, D.S. Qi, J.J. Xing, Z.H. Sun, and M.Z. Fan. (2005). Effect of dietary supplementation of chitosan and galacto-mannan-oligosaccharide on serum parameters and the insulin-like growth factor-I and growth hormone concentration and gene expression of insulin-like growth factor-I mRNA expression in early-weaned piglets. Domestic Animal Endocrinology 28:430-441.
1) Yang C., Y. Jiang, K. Huang, C. Zhu, and Y. Yin. (2003). Application of real-time PCR for quantitative detection of Campylobacter jejuni in poultry, milk and environmental water. FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology 38:265-271.