Museums

Ed Leith Cretaceous Menagerie

Opened in 2003, the Menagerie is a gathering place for students and visitors to the Wallace Building. Located in the main foyer of the building, the Menagerie contains four spectacular skeletal replicas of gigantic creatures of the Cretaceous Period as well as several interpretative panels. The gallery is dedicated to Ed Leith who taught in the Department from 1935 to 1971 and who continued to contribute to outreach, archival collections, and paleontological research during his long tenure as an Emeritus Professor.

Robert B. Ferguson Museum of Mineralogy

The museum contains more than 7500 mineral samples donated to or purchased by the Department of Geological Sciences over the last hundred years. A large number of the specimens are exhibited in cabinets in the Cretaceous Menagerie with the remaining samples displayed in cabinets lining the corridor of the main floor of the Wallace Building. The facility is named for Professor Emeritus Robert Ferguson who was instrumental in establishing the museum and who led the mineralogical and crystallographic research in the Department through three decades of rapid growth to its present level of excellence that has been recognized internationally. 

 

Ed Leith Cretaceous Menagerie

Robert B. Ferguson Museum of Mineralogy