UCLA Affiliated Training Program in Gastrointestinal Diseases, Los Angeles, CA 1989-1992
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba
• Licensure of the Medical Council of Canada (1985)
FRCPC: Internal Medicine-Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Board certification, 1989)
Diplomate: American Board of Internal Medicine (1989) (Certifying Examination - Score - 98th percentile)
Gastroenterology Board Certification:
FRCPC: Gastroenterology-Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Board certification, 1991)
Diplomate: American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology (1991) (Certifying Examination - Score 96th percentile)
• The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (1986-89, 1993- ) #13-016
• Senior Associate Editor, American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2015-
MAIN RESEARCH INTERESTS
• Department of Emergency medicine Winnipeg regional health Authority and University of Manitoba (2014-2015). Use of the Emergency Department in the WRHA by persons with IBD. $25,000. Principal investigator. (Co-Investigators: Zoann Nugent, Harminder Singh, Laura Carolyn Snider, Trevor Strome, Targownik)
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2013-2016). “Understanding patients' disease experience: A guide to disease management in IBD”. Principal Investigator. (Co-Investigators: Lesley Graff, John Walker, Laura Targownik, Lisa Lix, Gayle Restall, Ian Clara, James Blanchard. $520000.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of Canada (2013-2014). “Outcomes and Complications Associated with Immunomodulator and Biologic Pharmaceutical Use in Inflammatory Bowel Disease,” (Principal investigator: Laura Targownik, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Harminder Singh, Zoann Nugent). $118000.
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research Post doctoral fellowship (2013-2015) Awarded to Kathryn Sexton, PhD. “Assessing the global patient experience in inflammatory bowel disease: Understanding fluctuations in symptoms, stress, mood and daily functioning” (John Walker and Charles Bernstein co-supervisors). $90000.
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2014-2019) “Defining the burden and managing the effects of psychiatric comorbidity in chronic immunoinflammatory disease” (Nominated principal investigator: Ruth Ann Marrie, Principle investigator: Charles Bernstein, Co-investigators: James Bolton, John Fisk, Omar, Ghaffar, Lesley Graff, Carol Hitchon, Alan Katz, Lisa Lix, James Marion, Scott Patten, Jitender Sareen, John Walker, Ryan Zarychanski) $2,450,000.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Canada (2014-2015) “Denosumab (a monoclonal antibody to Receptor Activator of Nuclear factor-Kappa B ligand (RANKL) in Crohn’s disease”. (Principal investigator: Charles Bernstein, Co-investigators John Marshall, A Hillary Steinhart, Laura Targownik). $50,000.
• Research Manitoba (2015-2017) “Optimizing colonoscopy procedures and reducing unnecessary and over use.” (Principal investigator Harminder Singh, Co-investigators: John Walker, Charles Bernstein, Kristi Wittmeier, Gayle Restall, Jeffrey Sisler, Jason Park, Linda Hathout). $200,000.
• American College of Gastroenterology (2015-2016).”Epidemiology and outcomes of Clostridium Difficile Infections in IBD: A population-based study” (Principal investigator Harminder Singh, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Nancy Yu, Xibiao Ye). $35,000.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (2015-2017). “Cancer in IBD: The role of family history”. (Principal investigator: Jewel Samadder, Co-investigators: Randall Burt, John Valentine, Charles Bernstein, Harminder Singh, Cornelia Ulrich, Kenneth Boucher, Lisa Pappas, Karen Curtin, Ken Robert Smith, Max Loveless). $189,000.
• Health Sciences Research Foundation (2015-2017). “Identification of risk genes that modulate the severity of inflammatory bowel disease through copy number variation analysis” (Principal Investigator: Pingzhao Hu, Co-investigators Charles Bernstein, Elizabeth Spriggs) $70000.
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research-Canadian Association of Gastroenterology Fellowship awarded to Kathryn Sexton, PhD (2016) “Understanding health anxiety in a chronic illness population: Longitudinal impact on disease activity, health care utilization, and quality of life in inflammatory bowel disease” (John Walker and Charles Bernstein co-supervisors). $55000
• Crohn’s and Colitis Canada (2015-2018). “How Semaphorin 3E regulates relapse of quiescent experimental colitis” (Principal investigator: Jean Eric Ghia, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Abdel Soussi-Gouni) $375000
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research Bridge Funding (2015-2016). “Semaphorin 3E and Gut Inflammation”, Principal investigator: Jean Eric Ghia, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Abdel Soussi-Gounni). $100,000
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research Foundation Scheme New Investigator (2015-2020). “The Canadian Gastro-Intestinal Epidemiology Consortium (CanGIEC): Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Canada. (Principal investigator: Eric Benchimol, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Alain Bitton, Matthew Carroll, J Debruyn, Wael El-Matary, Anne Griffiths, Gilaad Kaplan, Jennifer Jones, Desmond Leddin, Geoffrey Nguyen, Anthony Otley, Harminder Singh, Laura Targownik). $451800
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research Foundation Scheme 2015-2022. “Defining the Longitudinal Course, Outcomes, and Treatment Needs of Vulnerable Canadians with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.” (Principal investigator: Jitender Sareen, Co-investigators: Tracy Afifi, Silvia Alessi-Severini, Asmundson, Charles Bernstein, Marcus Blouw, James Bolton, Michael Boyle, Dan Chateau, Murray Enns, Denz Fikretoglu, Lesley Graff, Lawrence Katz, Leong, William Leslie, Lisa Lix, Sarvesh Logsetty, Corey Mackenzie, Ruth Ann Marrie, Kendis Olafson, Scott Patten, Dave Pedlar, Robert Pietrzak, Don Richardson, Fran Schellenberg, Carolyn Snider, Murray Stein, Linda Van Til, John Walker, Jianli Wang, Mark Zamorski). $1,886,073.
• Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada (2015-2018). “From bugs to brains: the gut microbiome in paediatric multiple sclerosis”. (Principal investigator: Helen Tremlett, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Morag Graham, Gary Van Domselaar, Emmanuelle Waubant) $500,000
• National Institutes of Health Research (2015-2019). “Perception and Modulation of Visceral Sensation” (Principal investigator: Emeran Mayer, Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Lin Chang, Steve Cole, Steve Horvath, Rob Knight, Kirsten Tillisch, James Versolovic) $2,879,041 USD.
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research SPOR Team grants (2016-2021). Inflammation, Microbiome, and Alimentation: Gastro-Intestinal and Neuropsychiatric Effects: the IMAGINE-SPOR chronic disease network.(Nominated Principal investigator: Paul Moayeddi. Co- Principal investigators: Charles Bernstein, Burtus Ekstein, Glenda MacQueen, Anthony Otley). $25,000,000.
• Crohn’s and Colitis Canada (2016-2019). “Linking Population Based Provincial Health Utilization Databases to Evaluate Drug Related Outcomes in IBD.” Principal investigator: Laura Targownik. Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Eric Benchimol, Brian Bressler, Geoffrey Nguyen, Sanjay Murthy, Gilaad Kaplan, Desmond Leddin, Harminder Singh.$355000.
• Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (2017-2019). “Estimating indirect and out-of-pocket disease-associated costs in pediatric inflammatory bowel disease” Principal investigator: Wael El Matary. Co-investigators: Charles Bernstein, Eric Benchimol, Julia Witt. $40,000
• Children’s Hospital Research Institute of Manitoba (2017-2019). “Exploring association between host genetics and microbiome in pediatric Crohn’s disease”. Principal investigator: Pingzhao Hu. Co-investigators-Wael El Matary, Charles Bernstein. $40,000.
• Canadian Institutes of Health Research Innovative Biomedical and Clinical HIV/AIDS Research. (2017-2018). “The impact of Vedolizumab on immune cell homing to the female reproductive and gastrointestinal mucosa” Principal investigator: Lyle R McKinnon, Co-investigators- Charles Bernstein, Yoav Keynan, Vanessa Poliquin. $249,460.
• Bernstein CN, Banerjee A, Targownik LE, Singh H, Ghia JE, Burchill C, Chateau D, Roos LL. Caesarian section is not a risk factor for the development of IBD: A population based analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2016;14(1):50-7
• Peschken CA, Hitchon CA, Garland A, Bernstein CN, Chen H, Fransoo R, Marrie RA. A population-based study of intensive care unit admissions in rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology 2016; 43(1):26-33.
• Feist K, Walker JR, Bernstein CN, Graff LA, Zarychanski R, Abou-Setta A, Patten SB, Sareen J, Bolton JM, Marriott JJ, Singer, A, Marrie RA. Systematic review and meta-analysis of interventions for depression and anxiety in persons with multiple sclerosis multiple sclerosis and related disorders. Multiples Sclerosis and Related Disorders 2016; 5:12-26.
• *Forbes J, Van Domselaar G, Bernstein CN. Microbiome survey of the inflamed and non-inflamed gut at different compartments within the gastrointestinal tract of inflammatory bowel disease patients. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2016; 22:817-25.
• Munyaka P, Khafipour A, Wang H, Eissa N, Khafipour E, Bernstein CN, Ghia JE. Antepartum antibiotic treatment increases offspring susceptibility to experimental colitis: a role of the gut microbiota. PLOS One 2015; Nov 25; 10(11):e0142536.
• *Bhasin S, Singh H, Targownik LE, Israeli E, Bernstein CN. The rates and reasons for nonuse of prescription medication for IBD in a referral clinic. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2016 22:919-24.
• Clooney A, Bernstein CN, Leslie WD, Vagianos K, Sargent M, Laserna-Mendieta E, Claesson M, Targownik LE. A comparison of the gut microbiome between long term users and non-users of proton pump inhibitors. Alimentary, Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2016; 43: 974-84.
• Litster B, Fiest KM, Patten SB, Fisk JD, Walker JR, Graff LA, Bolton JB, Sireen J, Marriott JJ, Berrigan LI, Bernstein CN, Zarychanski R, Singer A, Hitchon CA, Peshcken CA, Marrie RA for the CIHR Team Defining the burden and managing the effects of psychiatric comorbidity in chronic immunoinflammatory disease. Screening tools for anxiety in persons with multiple sclerosis: A systematic review. International Journal of MS Care 2016 Nov-Dec;18(6):273-281.
• *Restall G, Simms A, Walker JR, Graff LA, Sexton KA, Rogala L, Miller N, Haviva C, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Understanding work experiences of people with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2016; 22:1688-97.
• Graff LA, Sexton KA, Walker JR, Clara I, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Validating a measure of patient self-efficacy in disease self-management using a population-based IBD cohort: the IBD Self-Efficacy Scale. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2016; 22: 2165-72.
• *Forbes J, Van Domselaar G, Sargent M, Green C, Springthorpe S, Krause D, Bernstein CN. Microbiome profiling of drinking water in relation to incidence of inflammatory bowel disease. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 2016; 18:1-13.
• Eissa N, Hussein H, Wang H, Rabbi MF, Bernstein CN, Ghia JE. Stability of Reference Genes for Messenger RNA Quantification by Real-Time PCR in Mouse Dextran Sodium Sulfate Experimental Colitis. PLoS One. 2016 May 31; 11(5): e0156289.
• El Matary W, Abej E, Deora V, Singh H, Bernstein CN. Impact of fecal calprotectin measurement on decision-making in children with inflammatory bowel disease. Frontiers in Pediatrics 2017; 25: 5-7.
• Singh H, Nugent Z, Yu N, Lix L, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Hospital discharge abstracts have limited accuracy in identifying occurrence of Clostridium difficile infections among hospitalized individuals with inflammatory bowel disease: a population-based study. PLOS One 2017; in press.
• Benchimol EI, Bernstein CN, Bitton A, Carroll MW, Singh H, Otley AR, Vutcovici M, El-Matary W, Nguyen GC, Griffiths AM, Mack DR, Jacobson K, Mojaverian N, Divine Tanyingoh D, Cui Y, Nugent Z, Coulombe J, Targownik LE, Jones JL, Leddin D, Murthy SK, Kaplan GG. Trends in epidemiology of pediatric inflammatory bowel disease in Canada: Distributed network analysis of multiple population-based provincial health administrative databases. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2017; 112: 1120-34.
• Targownik LE, Tenakaroon A, Leung S, Lix LM, Singh H, Bernstein CN. Temporal trends in initiation of therapy with tumor necrosis factor antagonists for patients with inflammatory bowel disease: A population-based analysis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2017; 15: 1061-70.
• Marrie RA, Metz L, Bernstein CN, Peschken C, Hitchon C, Garland A. Hospitalization is associated with subsequent disability in multiple sclerosis multiple sclerosis and related disorders. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders 2017; in press.
• Restall GJ, Simms AM, Walker, JR, Haviva C, Graff LA, Sexton KA, Miller,. Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Coping with inflammatory bowel disease: engaging with information to inform Health-related decision-making in daily life. Inflammatory Bowel Disease 2017; 23: 1247-56.
• Marrie RA, Hitchon C, Peschken C, Chen H, Bernstein CN, Garland A. Health care utilization before and after intensive care unit admission in rheumatoid arthritis. Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology 2017; in press.
• Ben Horin S, Andrews JM, Katsanos KH, Reider F, Steinwurz F, Karmiris K, Cheon JS, Moran GW, Cesarini M, Stone CD, Schwartz D, Protic M, Roblin X, Roda G, Chin MH, Har-Noy O, Bernstein CN. Combination of corticosteroids and 5-aminosalicylaes or corticosteroids alone for patients with moderate-severe ulcerative colitis: A global survey of physicians’ practices. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2017; 23:2995-3002.
• Marrie RA, Bernstein CN, Peschken CA; Hitchon CA; Chen H, Fransoo R, Garland A. Increased incidence of critical illness in psoriasis. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine & Surgery 2017; in press.
• Singh H, Nugent Z, Yu BN, Lix LM, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Higher incidence of Clostridium difficile infection among individuals with inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2017; 153: 430-8.
• *Chhibba T, Walker JR, Sexton K, Restall G, Ivekovic M, Shafer LA, Singh H, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Workplace accommodation for persons with IBD: What is needed and what is accessed. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2017; in press.
• Marrie RA, Sellers EAC; Chen H; Fransoo R; Bernstein CN; Hitchon CA, Peschken CA, Garland A. Markedly increased incidence of critical illness in adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 2017; in press
• Bernstein MT, Walker JR, Chhibba T, Ivekovic M, Singh H, Targownik LE, Bernstein CN. Health care services in IBD: Factors associated with service utilization and preferences for service options for routine and urgent care. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2017; 23(9): 1461-1469.
• Benchimol EI, Kaplan GG, Otley AR, Nguyen GC, Underwood FE, Guttmann A, Jones JL, Potter BK, Catley CA, Nugent Z, Cui Y, Tanyingoh D, Mojaverian N, Bitton A, Carroll MW, deBruyn J, Dummer TJB, El-Matary W, Griffiths AM, Jacobson K, Kuenzig ME, Leddin D, Lix LM, Mack DR, Murthy S, Peña Sánchez JN, Singh H, Targownik L, Vutcovici M, Bernstein CN. Rural and urban residence during early life is associated with a lower risk of inflammatory bowel disease: A population-based inception and birth cohort study. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2017, in press.
• Garland A, Metz LM, Bernstein CN, Peschken CA, Hitchon CA, Marrie RA. Hospitalization is associated with subsequent disability in multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 2017 May;14:23-28.
• Silvester J, Graff LA, Rigaux L, Bernstein CN, Leffler DA, Kelly CP, Walker JR, Duerksen DR. Symptoms of functional intestinal disorders are common in patients with celiac disease following transition to a gluten-free diet. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2017; in press.
• Marrie RA, Walld R, Bolton JM, Sareen J, Walker JR, Patten SB, Singer A, Lix LM, Hitchon CA, El-Gabalawy R, Katz A, Fisk JD, Bernstein CN. Increased incidence of psychiatric disorders in immune-mediated inflammatory disease. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2017 in press.
• Rabbi MFA, Eissa N, Munyaka PM, Kermarrec L, Elgazzar O, Khafipour E, Bernstein CN, Ghia JE. Reactivation of intestinal inflammation is suppressed by Catestatin in a murine model of colitis via M1 macrophages and not the gut microbiota. Frontiers in Immunology 2017; in press.
• Scally SW, Law SC, Ting YT, Heemst JV, Sokolove J, Deutsch AJ, Bridie Clemens E, Moustakas AK, Papadopoulos GK, Woude DV, Smolik I, Hitchon CA, Robinson DB, Ferucci ED, Bernstein CN, Meng X, Anaparti V, Huizinga T, Kedzierska K, Reid HH, Raychaudhuri S, Toes RE, Rossjohn J, El-Gabalawy H, Thomas R. Molecular basis for increased susceptibility of Indigenous North Americans to seropositive rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of Rheumatic Diseases 2017; in press
• Eissa N, Hussein H, Kermarrec L, Grover J, Metz-Boutigue MH, Bernstein CN, Ghia JE.Chromofungin (CHR: CHGA47-66) is downregulated in persons with active ulcerative colitis and suppresses pro-inflammatory macrophage function through the inhibition of NF-kB signaling. Biochemical Pharmacology 2017; in press.
• *Shafer LA, Walker JR, Chhibba T, Ivekovic M, Singh H, Targownik LE, Peyrin-Biroulet L, Gower-Rousseau, Sarter H, Bernstein CN. Independent validation of a self-report version of the IBD Disability Index (IBDDI) in a population-based cohort of IBD patients. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases 2017; in press.
• Eissa N, Hussein H, Kermarrec L, Grover J, Et Metz-boutigue MH, Bernstein CN, Ghia JE. Chromofungin ameliorates the progression of colitis by regulating alternatively activated macrophages. Frontiers in Immunology 2017; in press.
-Scientific Director of annual University of Manitoba GI symposium, 14th year, 2009