& Recent Events
- Seminar on ``Canada in Space" by Dr. Nicole Buckley, Chief Scientist,
Canadian Space Agency. February 16, 2011 at 12.30-1.30 PM in Room E2-351. This is an IEEE seminar supported by the IIMS.
- Seminar on ``Use of Computer Vision in Robotics Competitions:
A Case Study for Humanoid Robots" by Drs. Jacky Baltes and Chi Tai Cheng, Autonomous Agents Lab, Department of Computer Science, University of Manitoba. January 20, 2011 at 4-5PM in Room E3-262. This is an IEEE Robotics and Control Chapter seminar, supported by the IIMS.
- Seminar on "An Overview of the Rocket Propulsion Research at Technion-Israel Institute of Technology" by Dr. Victor Chernov, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto, November 25, 2010 at 2:30PM in Room E3-262 (Senate Chamber) .
- Seminar on ``Does Dormancy Increase Fitness of Bacterial Populations in
Time-Varying Environments?" by Dr. Tufail Malik (Research Associate, University of Manitoba.) February 9, 2010 at 2.30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on "Stability Analysis of Nonlinear/Non-smooth Dynamic Systems with Applications to Developing Bipedal Robots" by Professor Christine Wu, Dept. of Mechanical and Manufacturing
Engineering, University of Manitoba, November 24, 2009 at 2:30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on "A practical and efficient Monte Carlo random sampling method for statistical computation and global optimization" by Professor Liqun Wang, Department of Statistics, University of Manitoba, November 2, 2009 at 3:30PM in E2-393, EITC Building.
- Seminar on "Template-Guided Recombination and Ciliate Molecular Computing" by Michael Domaratzki, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manitoba, October 6, 2009 at 2:30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on "Development of IMRIScardio, an Integrated, Interventional Angio-MR
Imaging Suite" by Mark Alexiuk, IMRIS, Winnipeg, September 29, 2009 at 2:30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- IIMS-Math Colloquium on ``Non-standard Numerical
Schemes for Dynamical Systems" by Professor Jean
M-S. Lubuma, University of Pretoria, South Africa,
March 26, 2009 at 2.30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on Bezier Parametrization for Optimal Control
in Disease Transmission Models by Professor Tim Rogalsky,
Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg. March 17,
2009, 418 Machray Hall.
- Joint IIMS-IEEE seminar on ``Learning from a Stochastic
Teacher or Stochastic Compulsive Liar" by Professor
B. John Oommen, Chancellor's Professor, School of
Computer Science, Carleton University, Canada. January
30, 2009, E3-262 (Senate Chambers).
- Seminar on ``Measuring Complexity of Complex Systems"
by Professor Witold Kinsner, Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering, University of Manitoba.
November 25, 2008 at 2.30PM in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on ``On the population dynamics of the malaria
vector" by Professor Gideon A. Ngwa, University
of Buea, Cameroon. October 30, 2008 at2.30PM in Room
418 Machray Hall.
- Seminar on ``Pandemics and Epidemic Modeling, and
how Winnipeg Saved the World" by Professor Robert
McLeod, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
University of Manitoba, October 14, 2008 at Room 418
- IIMS-MITACS Problem-solving Workshop on Interactive
Media Industry, scheduled October 27-28, 2008 at the
Virtual Reality Centre, Industrial Technology Centre,
University of Manitoba. For further information and
registration details, please click this link.
- Second Annual Meeting of the Prairie Network for
Research in Mathematical Sciences, scheduled May 7-9,
2008 at Brandon University. For further details, click
- Seminar on ``High Definition Impedence Imaging (HDII)"
by Dr. Al Wexler, President Quantic Electroscan Inc.
March 4, 2008, Room 418 Machray Hall, 2.30PM.
- Mathematics Colloquium on ``Hyperbolic Conservation
Laws: The Next Generation" by Professor Barbara
Keyfitz, Director, Fields Institute, Toronto, and
University of Houston. February 28, 2008, Room 418
Machray Hall at 2.30PM.
- Seminar on ``An Object-Oriented World View in Genomics"
by Brian Fristensky (Dept. of Plant Science), December
4, 2007, Room 418 Machray Hall at 2.30PM.
- Seminar on ``Role of Mathematics
in Combatting Endemic Diseases in Resource-poor Settings"
by Abba B. Gumel, November 20, 2007, Room 418 Machray
Hall at 2.30 PM.
- Seminar on ``A Study of Heart Period
Variability for the Statistical Detection of Congestive
Heart Failure" by Stephen Dueck, IDERS Inc.,
Winnipeg. November 6, 2007 at 2.30 PM, Room 418 Machray
- Seminar on Financial Mathematics
titled ``First Passage Time Distributions for Diffusion
and Time-Dependent Barriers" by Professor Liqun
Wang , Department of Statistics, University of Manitoba.
October 30, 2007 at 2.30 PM, Room 418 Machray Hall.
This is a joint seminar with the Department of Statistics.
- Seminar on ``Antiviral Drug Use
During an Influenza Pandemic: A Mathematical Model"
by Dr. Christopher Bowman, Institute for Biodiagnostic,
National Research Council. October 23, 2007 at 2.30PM
in Room 418 Machray Hall.
- Prairie Network for Mathematical
Sciences. The IIMS is helping to spear-head the formation
of the Prairie Network for Research in Mathematical
Sciences. The Network is aimed at advancing and encouraging
research in mathematical sciences in the provinces
of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The First Annual Meeting
of the Network is scheduled at the University of Regina,
May 3-5, 2007. Click
here for further details of the meeting.
- The joint CMS-MITACS conference is
scheduled in Winnipeg, May 31-June 3, 2007 (the Local
Chair is A. Gumel of IIMS). Click
here for further details.
- IIMS short course in Computational
fluid Dynamics, scheduled November 14-15, 2006 at
Room 415 Machray Hall (Fort Garry Campus) between
6-8PM. The course will be conducted by Dr. Roel Luppes
of the University of Groningen, Netherlands. Click
the link below for more information.
- An IIMS seminar,
titled "Classification of High-Dimensional Biomedical
Data in the Relative Distance Plane", was held
on Tuesday, November 29th at 1:30 pm in Buller 207.
The speaker was Dr. Ray Somorjai of the Institute
for Biodiagnostics, NRC.
The abstract is as follows: A previously introduced
projection from a very high-dimensional feature space
to a special plane (the Relative Distance Plane, RDP)
was designed to preserve
class separation. However, RDP mapping is not only
a visualization tool,but
can also be used for direct classification in the
RDP. Although this is still
work in progress, I shall present some options and
their possibilities, as
well as preliminary results on some high-dimensional
June 2005, the IIMS hosted CAIMS2005,
the 26th Annual Meeting of the Canadian Applied and Industrial
Mathematics Society. In the above picture, Bill
Langford, President of CAIMS, is presenting a plaque to Abba
Gumel, Director of the IIMS. Abba cochaired the organization
of the meeting with Rob McLeod.