Faculty of Law:

An Inventory of its Records at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections

Inventory prepared by Jeanette Mockford
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe Library
(February 2014)

Finding aid encoded by Jeanette Mockford (February 2014)
Finding aid written in English.



Collection Summary

Repository:
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe Library

Title:
Faculty of Law

Dates:
1982

Quantity:
.3 m of audio recordings and textual material

Identification:
UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A13-105)

English

Return to Top


Administrative History of the Faculty of Law

The University of Manitoba first became involved in legal education in 1885 when it established a three-year course of studies leading to the LL.B. degree. This course did not include instruction, it simply prescribed a reading program with three annual examinations, which articled law students couId follow concurrently with the course prescribed by the Law Society. In the years 1911-1912, the Law Society was prompted by the Law Students Association to provide a short series of lectures. In 1913, H.A. Robson, then Manitoba's Public Utilities Commissioner and a former judge of the Court of King's Bench, organized a considerably improved course of lectures and began to lay the plans for the establishment in the following year of a permanent law school modeled after the Osgoode Hall Law School of the Law Society of Upper Canada.

The Manitoba Law School was jointly sponsored by The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba. Both bodies took part in the planning from the beginning. In the summer of 1914, they entered into an agreement, subsequently endorsed by legislation, which provided for the creation of the School, offering a three-year course consisting of lectures and apprenticeship leading to both an LL.B. degree and a call to the Bar and admission to practice. Expenses of the School were shared equally by the two parent bodies, and its operations were supervised by a jointly appointed Board of Trustees. This arrangement between The University of Manitoba and the Law Society of Manitoba continued until 1966 when the Law School became the Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba.

The Faculty of Law presently offers programs of study leading to two degrees, the LL.B. and the LL.M. The latter degree program was brought into existence in 1949 by the Manitoba Law School. It was substantially revamped by the Faculty of Law in 1968.

Return to Top


Scope and Contents of the Collection

The first accrual (A.13-105) is divided into 1 series. It includes 41 audio cassette tapes and 19 reel to reel tapes accompanied by a hand-written file list and one file folder with related newspaper clippings.

Return to Top


Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged 1 series.

  • 1. Law in a Cynical Society Conference recordings

Return to Top


Restrictions on Access

File folders with restricted items are marked.

Return to Top


Restrictions on Use

File folders with restricted items are marked.

Return to Top


Custodial History

The A13-104, A13-105, A13-106, A13-114, A13-115, A13-116, A13-117, A13-118 accruals were donated by the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 2013.

Return to Top


1. Tape Collection 1982
BoxFolder
1 Law in a Cynical Society Conference Recordings (41 Audio Cassette Tapes) including file list of speakers 1982
Law in a Cynical Society Conference Recordings (19 Reel to Reel Audio Tapes) 1982
1 Law in a Cynical Society Conference Press Coverage 1982

Return to Top