Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter:

An Inventory of Its Records at the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections

Inventory prepared by Elizabeth-Anne Johnson
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe LibraryUniversity of ManitobaWinnipeg, ManitobaR3T 2N2
(June 2009)

Finding aid encoded by Elizabeth-Anne Johnson (June 25, 2009)
Finding aid written in English.



Collection Summary

Repository:
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
330 Elizabeth Dafoe LibraryUniversity of ManitobaWinnipeg, ManitobaR3T 2N2

Creator:
Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter

Title:
Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter fonds

Dates:
1925

Quantity:
16 photographs

Identification:
Pc 214 (A.07-28)

English

Return to Top


Administrative History of Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter

The Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University is a national, non-profit organization that develops and promotes awareness of, leadership in, and financial support for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The Winnipeg Chapter was founded in 1948.

Return to Top


Scope and Contents of the Records

The fonds consists of photographic reprints depicting the opening of the Hebrew University campus at Mount Scopus, Jerusalem on April 1, 1925 and the surrounding region. The focus is on the University of Manitoba's representative, Dr. Edmund Guthrie Perry, head of the Department of Classics, and Max Steinkopf, a prominent Winnipeg lawyer and business executive who accompanied Dr. Perry on the trip. Other dignitaries found in the photos include Lord Arthur James Balfour, British Foreign Secretary; Viscount Allenby; and Sir Herbert Samuel.

Return to Top


Restrictions on Access

There are no restrictions on this material.

Return to Top


Restrictions on Use

There are no restrictions on this material.

Return to Top


Custodial History

The Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University were presented with the collection by Max Steinkopf's family. In 2006, the collection was donated to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter.

Return to Top


Detailed Description of the Collection

Photographs [ 1925 ]

BoxFolder
11 Photographs 1925
  • Item 1: The dedication ceremony held in Jerusalem, Israel on April 1, 1925, for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
  • Item 2: A photograph of the dedication ceremony held in Jerusalem, Israel on April 1, 1925, for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
  • Item 3: A photograph of Dr. Guthrie Perry and Max Steinkopf and MacMillan standing at the Church of the Holy Sepulchure, inside the walls of the old city of Jerusalem.
  • Item 4: A photograph of Dr. Guthrie Perry and Max Steinkopf visiting the Wine Press of the Garden of the Tomb in Palestine.
  • Item 5: A group photograph featuring Max Steinkopf (second from left) and Dr. Guthrie Perry (fourth from left) en route to Palestine.
  • Item 6: A group photograph on board the SS President Arthur en route to Palestine for the opening of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
  • Item 7: A photograph of a stately building taken outside the walls of Jerusalem.
  • Item 8: Sir Herbert Samuel leaving the Citadel in Jerusalem.
  • Item 9: A street scene in Jerusalem from the window of the St. John's Hotel.
  • Item 10: Two locals carrying water inside the walls of Jerusalem at the Mosque of Omar.
  • Item 11: Weitzel and Steinkopf on camels about to set out into the sands of the Egyptian desert. The Sphinx and a pyramid are in the background.
  • Item 12: The crossing of a branch of the Nile River, returning from the place where Moses was said to have been born.
  • Item 13: A travelling party at the entrance of the Tomb of the Sacred Bulls in the Egyptian desert between Cairo and Memphis.
  • Item 14: MacMillan handing out baksheesh to locals at Bethany.
  • Item 15: Guides and their camels with a visitor, about to continue their journey to Memphis, Egypt.
  • Item 16: Max Steinkopf and a local in front of the National Museum in Cairo.

Return to Top