Title: Winnipeg Music Festival (Men's Music Club) fonds.
Extent: 0.92 m of textual records. -- 6 photographs.
Administrative history: The Men's Music Club was founded by a group of 40 businessmen in December 1915 for the purpose of promoting the art of music. Recitals were held initially every Saturday evening at the Royal Alexander Hotel. Within the first couple of years, membership figures averaged around 120, of which approximately thirty per cent were professional musicians. In 1916, the Club organized a Male Voice Quartet, which eventually became the famous Winnipeg Male Voice Choir under the leadership of Hugh Ross. In 1919, the Manitoba Musical Competition Festival was organized followed by the Boys Choir under the conductorship of Miss Ethel Kinley in 1925. The Philharmonic Choir was formed independently in 1922 under the leadership of the Club conductor, Hugh Ross. The Philharmonic Choir was taken over by the Club as one of its sections. In 1946, The Civic Music League was formed by the Club and, through it, formed the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra. In 1987, the Men's Music Club became known as the Winnipeg Music Competition Festival, Inc. following increased involvement from the Women's Committee. The group disbanded the following year.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Men's Music Club in 1980 and in numerous instalments by the Winnpeg Music Festival Inc. between 1996 and 2001.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of membership records, constitution and by-laws, correspondence, minutes of meetings, programs, publicity brochures, and a history.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this material.
Finding aid: Printed finding aids are available in the Archives reading room and an on-line finding aid is available at the link below: