University of Manitoba

Archives & Special Collections

History and Archival Collections

Role of Women in the Delivery of Education through Religious Bodies

The earliest educational systems in Manitoba were run by sectarian organizations such as the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican Church, the Presbyterian and Methodist Churches. At first the majority of the teaching in these schools was done by men since it was rare for women to work outside the home. The sisters, Angelique and Marguerite Dolin, who operated a Catholic school intended to educate aboriginal children in the 1820s and 30s, were a significant exception.

As the territory became formalized under provincial government, formal structures also came into education. The Grey Nuns and later the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary were dominant figures in the field of Catholic education, symbolized by the establishment of St. Mary’s Academy in 1869. The creation of a non-denominational public school system in 1890 ended the domination of religious based in Manitoba. Some religious institutions such as St. Mary’s Academy, Balmoral Hall and St. John’s Ravenscourt have continued to operate as private schools to the current day. Religious bodies, such as the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate, also continue to provide educational activities.

The Ukrainian Catholic Religious Education Centre: A Short History

Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate fonds








Staff
Archives & Special Collections
University of Manitoba Libraries
Room 331, Elizabeth Dafoe Library
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB  R3T 2N2 Canada
Tel 204-474-9986  Fax 204-474-7913  Email archives@umanitoba.ca
umanitoba.ca/libraries