School of Art Gallery
One or more summer positions (up to 12 weeks) (depending on funding)
Start date: May 28, 2018
Anticipated end date: August 17, 2018 (12 wks)
Salary: $13.50 per hour / 35 hours a week
Application deadline: May 1, 2018
Summary of Duties:
The incumbent will work in two sections of the gallery – the exhibition spaces and the collection - with the primary focus on permanent collection related tasks and secondary focus on gallery exhibition activities.
Permanent collection duties will mainly include:
- assisting with the cataloguing of artworks, including photographing the works, conducting research and writing about the works;
- concluding a project of moving artworks within the gallery vaults;
- updating database records and photographing undocumented artworks;
- assisting with conservation work such as matting artworks, and constructing archival storage forms
Gallery duties will mainly include:
Education and Experience:
- assisting with the installation and take down of exhibitions, and
- assisting the Art Educator with writing scripts for gallery tours.
As an ideal candidate, you
- are enrolled as a student in the field of Art History, Studio Arts, Architecture, Museum Studies, or have an acceptable combination of education, training and experience;
- are eligible to participate in the Young Canada Works program (See Young Canada Works Program Qualifications below);
- have proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop or other digital imaging software, and have experience using a digital camera.
- Have experience handling art, knowledge of database management and Canadian art would be beneficial.
- Have worked or volunteered in public gallery, museum or library is desirable.
- to work under pressure;
- to work without continuous supervision;
- to work effectively in a team situation;
- to communicate well both orally and in writing;
Employment Funding Programs’ Qualifications
- Demonstrated interest in Canadian art and museums
- Excellent communications skills
- High degree of initiative and judgment
- Creative problem solver
- Team player
The University of Manitoba is committed to the principles of employment equity.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Must be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- Must be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- Will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during employment period
- Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding this job;
- Intend to return to full-time studies in the fall
Please note that only candidates who are selected for the next stage of this selection process will be contacted.
Please forward your cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume and a writing sample via email.
Include the position title "Gallery Assistant" in your email's subject line, to: Donna.Jones@umanitoba.ca
Deadline: May 1, 2018