The Academic Learning Centre (ALC) serves graduate and undergraduate, full and part-time students at the University of Manitoba. Students are invited to access the resources available on the ALC web page, make an appointment with a writing or study skills tutor, and/or attend workshops in order to further develop academic strengths and skills in writing, learning and research.
The Academic Learning Centre Services
Most appointments are booked online via WCOnline. Students who are referred by their graduate advisor, instructor or other UM staff should call (204) 480-1481 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment. Students new to the system will need to register first. Information on how to book is provided on this page at the bottom as well as a printable version (pdf).
The booking system also has a text only version
PLEASE NOTE: Reception for the ALC has moved to 205 Tier (First Year Centre). Students, faculty, staff should see the First Year Centre reception to book an appointment with an ALC instructor, get ALC postcards, or request more information about our services.
We respond to our email (email@example.com) and voice mail messages (204-480-1481) twice a day (9:00 am and 4:00 pm).
Booking an appointment online
Students using the WCOnline appointment scheduling system for the first time need to register. To register for an account, click the "Register for an account" link above the log-in boxes and fill out all fields
- WCOnline requires that users input a UofM email account (e.g., @myumanitoba.ca and ICM email addresses are acceptable).
- WCOnline is not linked to the university website, so your password can be different from your email/JUMP password and won't need to be changed at the same intervals.
- Once registered in the WCOnline system, log in to the WCOnline appointment scheduling system with your UM email and the password you set (see above)
Navigating Appointments and Bookings
- Select a schedule. Our default schedule is Elizabeth Dafoe Library, But there are also schedules for two other libraries (Science and Management) as well as a schedule for online submissions, graduate students, ALC Tutors at Magizii Agamik and the EAL specialist (Instructors 2016).
- You can change schedules using the drop down menu on the registration page or the drop down menu within the schedule.
- Blue coloured blocks on the WCOnline schedule are unavailable.
- White blocks indicate available appointments.
- Click on a white block to book that time slot.
- Your own booked appointments will appear on the schedule in yellow.