Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Technician 1
Hay Point Range: 145 – 180
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level, under the supervision of a more senior technician or an academic staff member provide routine, standardized technical assistance. Close supervision is received initially, but progresses to general supervision after a period of up to one year initial on‑the‑job training. Incumbents participate in the training and orientation of new employees at the same or more junior level, using established guidelines and procedures.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares laboratory solutions or specialized media and reagents following prescribed formulas.
- Prepares for laboratory classes by setting up equipment, distributing lab notes, ensuring necessary objects are readily available, operating A/V equipment, etc.
- Maintains lab in orderly fashion and ensures an adequate supply of stock.
- Cleans lab, equipment and glassware as required.
- Provides standard assistance in animal surgery or in handling animals.
- Performs routine specimen collection of blood samples from humans or animals.
- Cares and maintains cages for and feeds a small number of lab animals.
- Operates standard lab equipment such as centrifuge, pH meter, scintillation counter, grinding equipment, balance, drying oven, microscope.
- Performs routine biological, chemical or protein analysis; uses established histological techniques; prepares tissues for light or electron microscopy, chromatography, etc.
- Maintains a research crop involving field work such as seeding, harvesting, threshing and laboratory work such as routine tests on crop samples.
- Assists in mounting, labelling and other preparation of samples used in taxonomic biology research. Makes field trips for the collection of specimens for study.
- Fabricates orthodontic appliances following standard procedures.
- Provides radiographic services in a dental clinic.
- Enters, records and analyses data and results.
- Duplicates, collates, files.
- Prepares illustrations, graphs, or slides from raw data under direction of supervisor. Repairs slides as required and maintains slide files.
- Transports, sets up and operates audio, video and projection equipment.
- Is required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- High school completion with job‑related options.
- No experience as "on‑the‑job" training is provided.
An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience with job-related software such as Word/WordPerfect, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Good manual dexterity and eyesight required.
- No allergies to animals, plants or plant products or job‑related materials.
- Physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include mobility and/or moderate to heavy lifting.
Other Job-related Qualifications
Some positions require incumbent to possess philosophy compatible with animal-based research.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.