Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Administrative Assistant 7
Hay Point Range: 602 – 662
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level are distinguished from lower levels by the greater size of the specialized program for which they are responsible. The program size required that the incumbents of these positions have a higher degree of administrative and organizational ability.
Incumbents perform their duties under administrative guidance, but act independently in attaining program objectives. In the day-to-day administration of their assigned area, incumbents are expected to assume a high degree of initiative in the supervision, training, and motivation of junior clerical, services or administrative staff.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the formulation of University policy relative to the area of responsibility.
- Is responsible for the efficient administration, organization and operation of a large department or program.
- Is responsible for keeping up-to-date on developments within the field of specialization and University and Government policies, practices and regulations as they apply to the operation of the area.
- Is responsible for all human resources management within the department or program, including resources planning and utilization, recruitment, discipline, promotion, training and development.
- Is responsible for public relations matters related to the area of responsibility.
- May be required to serve on special committees.
- Assists in the development and controls expenditures of the departmental fiscal budget.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- Knowledge of University regulations, programs and procedures as they relate to the function/program.
- Seven years of directly-related administrative experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- See Classification Specification Administrative Assistant 1.
- Ability to make decisions and plan and control projects.
- Thorough knowledge of the procedures and techniques in the field of specialization.
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.