Revision Date: March 2006
Classification: Library Assistant 3
Hay Point Range : 184-229
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level perform a variety of complex library and/or clerical duties in a highly automated environment requiring knowledge of library techniques and procedures. Interaction with the public is routine. Incumbents receive general supervision or direction, are expected to perform with some degree of independence and may direct a specific function or functions within a section. Supervision and training of other employees at the same or lower level is required by some positions. Employees in these positions perform opening and closing procedures, including locking the library premises at the end of a shift. Incumbents may represent the Libraries with external companies in the execution of contracts. Incumbents are expected to perform any duties performed by Library Shelvers, Library Assistants 1 and 2 as required to support the activities of the unit.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in public services are:
- Provides circulation services to borrowers, including all automated and manual procedures.
- Handles a variety of informational queries and assists patrons in the location and use of library collections and facilities, referring very complex queries to a senior staff member.
- Accepts payments, credits borrowers' accounts, processes refunds and issues receipts.
- Under the direction of the supervisor, balances monies received and makes deposits.
- Responsible for balancing the change float.
- Under the direction of a librarian, may provide reference assistance.
- In absence of the supervisor, may be required to perform supervisory duties.
Duties primarily, but not exclusively, prevalent in technical services are:
- Performs routine cataloguing, classifying and adapting library material under the direction of a librarian or supervisor.
- Performs functions in support of ordering, receiving and issuing payment for books and other library materials.
Duties applicable to both public and technical services:
- Provides clerical/secretarial services, initiates correspondence, and may be responsible for maintaining staff records, payroll information and updating statistics.
- Deals tactfully with patrons stopped by security system, referring any cases of theft and/or vandalism to a senior staff member.
- Responsible for the preparation and processing of materials for binding.
- May be responsible for Document Delivery.
- At a level of moderate complexity and under the direction of a senior staff member,
- Maintains and updates on-line library records and catalogues.
- May be responsible for processing and organizing reserve materials.
- Assists in solving problems related to the work of a unit.
- Some positions may search and verify bibliographic information under the direction of a senior staff member. May be responsible for the bibliographic checking and follow-up on requests for materials. Access and use available tools to determine publishing and price details.
- Assists in training new staff.
- May be responsible for the supervision of library assistants.
- Maintains the procedures manuals and other work tools within a unit/section
- Serves on library committees as appointed or elected.
- Provides general library assistance and/or other related duties as required or assigned.
- May assist in updating unit library Web pages.
The minimum qualifications necessary for satisfactory job performance are:
Minimum Formal Education/Training Required
- A library technician’s diploma is required.
- A University education in a related field preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Three years of related academic library experience and/or training is required.
- Working knowledge of library concepts and procedures, and a capacity for organizing are required.
- Experience with the Integrated Library System is required.
- Exposure to office routines is an asset.
Skills and Abilities
- Positions require keyboarding skills and intermediate skills in word processing and various software.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a variety of clerical and or basic bookkeeping duties is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and apply automated and manual procedures is essential.
- An aptitude for the training and supervision of staff may be required.
- Ability to work in harmony with others is required.
- Demonstrated good judgment in effectively serving the needs of patrons is required.
- Ability to perform detailed tasks quickly and accurately is essential.
- Ability to work effectively in peak periods is required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and to accurately follow both written and verbal English direction is essential.
Must be physically capable of performing the duties as assigned, which may include moderate to heavy lifting of 2 kg to 10 kg, standing for long periods of time and exposure to dust.
Other Job-Related Qualifications
- Knowledge of a language in addition to English may be required in some positions.
- Knowledge of related subject area may be preferred.
- Satisfactory work record, including attendance and punctuality, is required.