Revision Date: March 29, 2005
Classification: Caretaking Equipment Service Worker
Hay Point Range: N/A
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
The Physical Plant Department is responsible for the entire physical plant of the University including construction, renovations, provision of utility services and the care and maintenance of all properties.
Under general supervision, the Caretaking Equipment Service Worker is responsible for the preventive maintenance and repairs of all caretaking equipment, ordering and maintenance of stock of replacement parts, maintaining inventory lists of equipment and assisting with training of staff regarding operation of the caretaking equipment and maintenance requirements..
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs preventive scheduled maintenance of all custodial cleaning equipment
- Develops schedules for preventive maintenance of all equipment
- Diagnoses mechanical and electronic problems using current diagnostic equipment
- Repairs all cleaning equipment such as vacuum cleaners, hi-speed polishers, power scrubbers, carpet extractors etc. as per supervisors request
- Maintains batteries used for battery operated caretaking equipment, ordering and replacing in consultation with the supervisor, where necessary.
- Orders and maintains a stock of replacement parts as authorized by supervisor
- Keeps computerized records of parts and repairs done on equipment
- Develops and maintains inventory lists of all caretaking cleaning equipment including the tracking equipment from one building to another,
- Records hours of work on work orders and daily time sheets,
- Assesses needs for the purchase of a new caretaking cleaning equipment and makes purchase recommendations to the supervisor,
- Performs general housekeeping of equipment rooms and related areas
- Assists with training of caretaking staff regarding safe operation of cleaning equipment and maintenance requirement
- Operates custodial cleaning equipment for the purpose of assessment, training of staff, and cleaning
- Performs caretaking duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Performs other related duties as assigned
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education
- Education to an acceptable level.
- Certificate for Electronic and Mechanical Repair from a recognized institution
- Class 5 Driver's License, valid in Manitoba
- Technical Training Course in the repairs of Electro-Mechanical Equipment would be an asset
- An acceptable combination of training and experience may be considered
- Thorough knowledge of, and be familiar with the operation and maintenance of all mechanical cleaning equipment utilized by the caretaking services
- A minimum of three years related experience
- Knowledge of all aspects of custodial techniques
Skills and Abilities
- Mechanically incline
- Able to learn new concepts
- Good communication and decision-making skills
- Able to work in a service environment subject to frequently changing priorities
- Basic computer skills
- Able to train others in equipment operation and maintenance
- Able to maintain related records
- Must be capable of performing the duties as assigned
- Able to wear and use any required protective equipment.
- Some heavy lifting required
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.
"In accordance with the University's Health and Safety Policy, and in support of the Workplace Safety and Health Act, Physical Plant is committed to providing a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and students.
Physical Plant will instruct all employees to complete an Orientation Workshop, normally during the first day on the job, and the Health and Safety Orientation Module, normally during the probation period. Employees will also be instructed to complete various workshops, such as Asbestos Awareness, etc. during the first year of employment depending upon an individual's classification."