Revision Date: February 1984
Classification: Office Assistant 1
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 101-126
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This is the introductory level of positions providing office assistance through the performance of basic clerical duties. Positions are similar in that the work is quickly learned and tasks are performed according to well established routines. For some positions, basic keyboard skills may be required. Incumbents may require initial close supervision during their training period. Once trained they may be expected to perform with general supervision only. The supervision of others is not a requirement, however, incumbents may be required to assist in the introductory training of new employees at the same level.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Processes mail which can include: picking up, opening, date stamping, recording, sorting and distributing mail.
- Provides delivery/messenger service.
- Provides routine clerical duties which can include: receiving forms, checking them for accuracy and completeness, matching, sorting, distributing forms and documents, posting data records, making simple computations, preparing routine summaries of information, etc.
- Performs duties related to the maintenance of files.
- May act as a receptionist for an area, receiving, screening and referring visitors and calls, providing routine information.
- May type correspondence, form letters, forms, labels, envelope mailings, examinations, etc.
- Assists with general office duties which may include: operation of duplicating equipment, postal metering machine, maintaining office supplies, etc.
- Assists in receiving, storing and pricing of stock.
- May attend customer wicket with responsibility for sale of stamps and money orders, and for the registration of parcels and letters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Completion of a High school or equivalent program of studies in directly related applied office skills.
- or -
- High school completion plus some additional directly related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in harmony with others and provide assistance to staff, students and the public.
- Ability to follow instructions and handle a variety of clerical duties.
- Some positions require basic keyboard skills with the ability to meet test standards of 45 words per minute.
- Appropriate communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.