Revision Date: February 1984
Classification: Office Assistant 3
Unit: C.U.P.E. 1482
Hay Point Range: 153-183
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
Positions at this level provide office assistance by performing proficient typing, shorthand and/or the use of dictating equipment, and/or a variety of office routines, following standardized policies and procedures. Incumbents may be assigned one or more specific area of responsibility within a university program, section, department, faculty, school or administrative unit, the duties of which may be secretarial, receptionist, filing, bookkeeping, and/or records processing. Incumbents may require initial close supervision during their training period. Once trained, they are expected to perform under general supervision or direction. Incumbents may be required to supervise and/or assist in the introductory training of new employees at the same or junior levels.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Is responsible for performing office functions associated with: establishing and maintaining a filing system and/or library; maintaining, providing information and following up requisitions, orders, prices, invoices, etc.; assisting with student admissions, registration, timetabling and examinations; maintaining various specialized records related to the activities of an area (e.g. absentee records, budget control records, student records, etc.); processing, registering and insuring shipments, C.O.D. and money orders or claims for lost items; maintaining inventory of supplies and forms
- Performs or may assign secretarial functions associated with: the typing of correspondence, form letters, teaching, research and administrative forms or material, etc. from copy, dictating machine and/or shorthand notes or self- initiated correspondence and organizes and types coursework and research/resource materials containing a degree of complexity, basic recognition of terminology or second language, special symbols and formats, etc.
- Performs bookkeeping routines associated with: processing, checking, verifying/correcting and recording the content of administrative forms; statement balancing and reconciliation; assessing fees; preparing financial accounts and bank deposits; making journal entries; controlling petty cash, distributing keys, etc.
- Provides record status to staff, students and the public, updating information as required.
- Compiles data and statistics in preparation of reports.
- May allocate mail boxes to individuals and/or organizations.
- Operates business machines (e.g. photocopier and duplicating equipment) related to performance of duties.
- May act as a receptionist for an area, receiving, screening and referring visitors and calls, taking messages and providing information requiring a knowledge of university policies and procedures; waiting on customers and taking orders; making appointments and arranging for meetings, room bookings, travel, etc.
- Performs functions of automated keyboard office equipment for information processing and retention and priorizes own assignments.
- May provide assistance to committees for: agendas, space, minutes, etc.
- May assist in procedures of acquiring, training and supervising junior staff.
- May assume other responsibilities in absence of other staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The minimum qualifications necessary for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
Level of Formal Education and Experience
- Completion of a High school or equivalent program of studies in directly related applied office skills plus 2 years of directly related experience
- or -
- High school completion plus 3 years of directly related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of general office practices.
- Ability to handle a variety of clerical and/or basic bookkeeping routines.
- Ability to use shorthand and/or dictating equipment where this is a requirement of the position
- Ability to work in harmony with others and provide effective assistance to staff, students and the public.
- Some positions require keyboard skills with the ability to meet test standards in typing (minimum 60 wpm).
- Ability to operate automated keyboard office equipment where this is a requirement of the position.
- Appropriate communication skills, verbally and in writing.
- Capable of performing the duties as assigned.