Revision Date: August 2005
Classification: Technician 7
Unit: CUPE 1482 Engineering
Hay Point Range: 481-561
CHARACTER OF THE JOB
This is the most senior level of Technician. A wide range of advanced technical skills are required at this level, plus administrative abilities. Incumbents assist in the planning, organization and co-ordination of projects, including staff selection, training, motivation and supervision. They may prepare the necessary supply budget for their area of responsibility. They are available for consultation with all levels of staff. The incumbents provide technical assistance, training and supervision for undergraduate thesis projects, and the Teaching Assistants for some undergraduate courses. They may teach a variety of techniques specific to their area and its specialized equipment to graduate students as part of their course work, and to other researchers as required for their research programs.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the selection, training and supervision of personnel, some of whom operate specialized equipment. Operate and maintain specialized equipment. This requires both extensive theoretical and/or practical knowledge.
- Designs and refines new procedures and may establish quality control.
- Acts as resource person within an area of responsibility to offer advice and guidance to academics, graduate students, post doctoral fellows, research associates, visiting scientists and technicians on a wide range of technical, practical and administrative matters.
- Plan, organize and coordinate laboratory projects for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Acts as project leader including design, administration, project reviews and related reports production.
- Assemble, configure, and calibrate a variety of equipment to allow unique testing or prototype development. Requires thorough understanding of problem to be solved and equipment.
- Coordinate projects or research activities within an area of responsibility.
- Develop necessary supplies budget to carry out a program or project.
- Order and stock consumable and necessary small equipment for an effective facility.
- Provide training of Teaching Assistants for courses that utilize equipment and materials from area of responsibility.
- Responsible for keeping abreast of development in an area of expertise.
- Required to obtain knowledge of and comply with safety policies applicable to the workplace.
- Designs and assists in the design of equipment and/or accessories and/or software.
- Incorporate new technologies.
- Act as liaison with equipment suppliers.
- Participates in independent research as time permits.
- Interact with the public seeking information, technical advice or service.
- Design and fabricate experimental apparatus.
- Other duties as assigned.
The minimum qualification required for acceptable (satisfactory) job performance are:
- Ph.d. in related study area with five years experience.
- Masters degree in related study area with seven years related experience.
- Bachelor's degree in related study area with nine years of related experience.
- An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Displays wide range of advanced technical skills, plus administrative ability.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate projects.
- Ability to design and fabricate research apparatus.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students and public.
- Ability to work within budgetary restrictions.
- Ability to adapt existing equipment to solve new problems.
- Ability to conduct research independently.
- Ability to act as a resource person for an area.
- Capable of adding new technologies to repertoire.
- Physical Requirements
Capable of performing the duties as assigned.
This class specification is intended to illustrate the characteristics of this classification level and should not be interpreted as a description of any one individual position within this classification level.