Key Features and Benefits
Multi-factor authentication or MFA adds an extra layer of security to our university accounts to protect you, your data, and university systems from unauthorized access and phishing attacks.
Verifying your identity using a second factor such as your phone or mobile device prevents anyone but you from logging in, even if they know your password.
A - Configure Pulse Secure to enable a Duo connection
- Open your Pulse Secure app and add click the add connection icon to add a new profile.
- Enter a descriptive name. For example, “umanitoba-mfa.”
- Enter the server address.
The server URL is:
- Click Add
B - Duo multi-factor authentication enrolment
Step one – Install the Duo app
- Download and install the Duo app on your mobile phone.
- Find the latest version of Duo Mobile in the App Store.
- Find the latest version of Duo Mobile in Google Play.
Note: If you are unable to install an app on your mobile phone, choose another option during the self-enrolment process. If you require a hardware token, please request one [links to hardware token request page].
Step two – Sign in
- In Pulse Secure, find the new connection and click Connect.
- In the “Pre Sign-In Notification” window, click Proceed.
- In the “Welcome” window, enter your username and password and click Sign In. Your username can be in the following formats:
- In the “Protect your University of Manitoba Account” window, click Start setup.
Step three – Choose your authentication device type
- Choose the type of device you are adding and click Continue.
- Enter your phone number and click Continue.
- Choose the type of phone you are using and click Continue.
- On your phone, press I have Duo Mobile installed.
Step four – Activate Duo Mobile
- Activate Duo Mobile to link it to your account. Open the app and scan the barcode with the app’s built-in barcode scanner. Press Continue.
Note: If you cannot scan the barcode, choose Email me an activation link instead and follow the instructions.
If you choose “Email me an activation link instead”:
- Enter an email address that you can access on your device.
- Click Send email.
- Open the email from Duo Security on your device.
- Tap the activation link provided in the email to add your smart phone or tablet to your Duo Mobile app.
- Once you see the University of Manitoba set up on the Dup Mobile app, return to your computer and click Continue.
Step five – Configure your device options (optional)
If this is the device you’ll use most often with Duo, then you may want to enable automatic push requests by changing your “When I log in:” option.
- In the “Configure Device Options” window, change the When I log in: option from "Ask me to choose an authentication method" to "Automatically send this device a Duo Push" or "Automatically call this device" and press Save.
Note: If you do not see the Configure Device Options screen immediately after step 9, select My Settings & Devices in the right menu under the UM logo.
Your enrolment is complete, and your device is ready to approve Duo authentication requests:
- Click Continue to Login to proceed to the Duo Prompt.
- Click Send Me a Push or Call me to give it a try. All you need to do is tap Approve on the Duo login request received on your phone.
The next time you log in to VPN using the Pulse Secure Duo connection:
- Click Proceed.
- Enter your username and password.
- Approve the log in request from your second factor device (mobile phone app, landline or hardware token).
Note: Cashed credentials are not available in Duo. You will have to enter your username and password every time you log in.
Faculty and Staff
Microsoft A3 license, a mobile device or authentication method, Pulse Secure app