Faculty (Alphabetical) --- Faculty (by Research Interest)
Dr. Jonah Corne (on leave Fall 2021 + Winter 2022)
Office: 340A University College
Education: PhD (Cornell), MA (Cornell), BA Honours (University of Manitoba)
Areas of Specialization: film studies; twentieth-century British literature
- "Regicide on Repeat: The Pensive Spectator of Rebecca West's Black Lamb and GreyFalcon." Criticism (forthcoming).
- "Queer Fragments: Ruination and Sexuality in E.M. Forster." College Literature: A Journal of Critical Literary Studies, 41.3, Summer 2014, pp. 27-44.
- "Gods and Nobodies: The Extra, The October Jubilee, and Joseph von Sternberg's The Last Command." Film International, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2011, pp. 41-58.
- "In The Blink of a Speaking Eye: On Vision and Language in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly." Literature/Film Quarterly, Vol. 38, No. 3, 2010, pp. 217-229.
- "Michel Chion: Listening to Cinema" in Thinking in the Dark: Cinema, Theory, Practice, eds. Murray Pomerance and R. Barton Palmer, Rutgers University Press, 2016, pp. 229-240.
- "After Life, Early Cinema: Re-making the Past with Hirokazu Kore-eda," in New Silent Cinema, eds. Paul Flaig and Katherine Groo, Routledge, AFI Film Reader Series, 2016, pp. 85-105.
- "Emotion, Truth, and Space in Heat," in Michael Mann and Philosophy, eds. Steven Sanders, Aeon J. Skoble, and R. Barton Palmer, University of Kentucky Press, 2014, pp. 227-243.
- “Asphalt Jungles: Urbanism and Primitivism in Georg Simmel and Wilhelm Worringer,” in Georg Simmel in Translation: Interdisciplinary Border Crossings in Culture and Modernity, ed. David Kim. Cambridge Scholars Press, 2006 (second revised edition, 2009), pp. 90-105.
- Review of Reading Boyishly: Roland Barthes, J.M. Barrie, Jacques Henri Lartigue, Marcel Proust, and D.W. Winnicott, by Carol Mavor, Modernist Cultures, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2012, pp.135-139.
- Review of Residual Media, edited by Charles R. Acland, Screening the Past, #24, April 2009 (web).
- Review of Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra New Music Festival 2014, Border Crossings, No. 129, 2014, pp. 84-85.
- "Shouting at the Silents: The Cine-Dreams of Delmore Schwartz," BorderCrossings, No. 123, 2012, pp. 46-50.
- Review of Double Feature: Darryl Nepinak and Jackie Traverse, Fuse Magazine, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2011 (with Andrew Harwood), pp. 34-36.
- "Centre and Periphery," Review of Lancelot Coar's On The Road/En Route, Fuse Magazine, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2010 (with Andrew Harwood), pp. 38-40.
- "Hip Hop, Palestinian Style: An Interview with DAM," Canadian Dimension Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 3, May/June 2010, pp. 56-57.
Selected Talks and Events
- "Each Day is Dangerous: Accident, Technology, and Virginia Woolf," paper delivered at symposium on "Catastrophe, Cataclysm, and the Singular Accident," Video Pool Media Arts Centre, Winnipeg, MB, November 15, 2015
- "Cinema in the Age of the Internet: A Conversation with Jonathan Rosenbaum," organizer and moderator, Plug In Institute of Contemporary Art, Winnipeg, MB, March 9, 2015
- "Tick Tock: A Panel Discussion on Christian Marclay's The Clock," organizer and moderator, Winnipeg Art Gallery, November 22, 2013
- "States of Statelessness: Between Palestinian and Yiddish Cinema," paper delivered at Society for Cinema and Media Studies conference, Chicago, IL, March, 2013
- "What Is Deadpan?", talk given at Moonlighter Presents lecture series, The Clocktower Gallery, New York, NY, April 24, 2012