Exchange programs operate under formal agreements between the Price Faculty of Engineering at the University of Manitoba and partner universities around the world. U of M engineering students who study at one of these host universities as part of the exchange program register and pay for their courses at the University of Manitoba but take the courses at the host institution overseas. Students can go for one or two terms and remain a UM student during your time abroad. Exchange students receive an orientation session prior to departure, assistance throughout the application process as well as assistance while on exchange.

The engineering student can take courses at the host university or do a research internship. Most exchange students take three courses while abroad leaving time to travel and appreciate the culture of the host country. Prior to going on an exchange you must complete a form to have your courses pre-approved so that they can be transferred back to you program at U of M. 



The cost of an exchange includes the U of M tuition plus incidental fees, along with the cost of travel, living and studying abroad. You remain a U of M student while on exchange which means that you pay the same tuition fees to U of M as you would if you were here. You will also continue to be eligible for any student loans or scholarships that you would be while studying in Manitoba. Some exchange programs have funding that provides for airfare and a portion of the living expenses.

A funded program is one in which there are funds available to help the student with some of the expenses of going overseas on the exchange. Funds can be provided by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), or the University of Manitoba. In the past we have had several funded programs through HRSDC that provided overseas opportunities for our students in Europe, USA and Mexico. We have recently completed a HRSDC funded Canada-EU Program for Mobility in Higher Education. This program provided funds to cover return airfare (to a maximum amount) and reasonable living expenses.

Some destinations do not have money available from us to help you with the exchange. However, in most cases, the additional cost to participate is the airfare (since if you are living on your own you would be paying tuition and living expenses anyway, so whether here or in another country, you still have to pay for it). Although we may not have funding available for some destinations, there may be other sources. For example, the International Centre has some funds available to help students on exchanges (can be up to $800 depending on the total amount available and number of students applying). Applications for this funding is available at the International Centre.


An important aspect of an exchange is to get credit for the courses taken abroad.  Not all courses taken at partner universities are eligible for transfer back to U of M.  In order to get credit for courses taken abroad, students must submit an application for a Letter of Permission (L.O.P.).  The Letter of Permission will detail what courses you can take abroad and the departmental approval for your program abroad. The application process for L.O.P. approval can take quite a while to complete so it is a good idea to get an early start with the process.

Students are responsible for completing the L.O.P. form, collecting detailed course descriptions, and reviewing the package with the engineering exchange coordinator prior to submitting it to the Registrar's Office.  The coordinator can assist with the process.  Details of the L.O.P. process and the respective form can be found on the Registrar's Office L.O.P. Application page.

It is also important to work with your engineering academic advisor when deciding your program abroad.  They will ultimately have to approve the L.O.P. from the Registrar's Office so it is best to work with them when planning your courses.  Knowing which courses are still required and how many credits are needed for graduation can help you make better choices.  Additionally, you must be aware that courses with a high design content cannot be done abroad (according to CEAB regulations).  Therefore discussions with your department is highly recommended to ensure that your engineering academic program meets the CEAB accreditation design units guidelines.

At the end of your time abroad, it is your responsibility to ensure that your transcript is sent back to the U of M International Engineering Programs Office.  Grades obtained abroad are transferred to your academic record at Uof M and are included in your grade point average. Failure to complete this process may result in a default failing grade being listed for the L.O.P. courses in question.

For more information on other outgoing student exchange opportunities, please visit the International Centre UofM Exchange Program website.

For more information regarding exchange & partner programs, please contact the International Engineering Programs Office:

Nammy Nadarajah
Administrative Assistant
E2-376E EITC
Phone: (204) 474-9409

J.P. Burak, P.Eng., M.Sc.
Lead - Partnerships, Mobility and Advising for Hybrid and International Programs
E1-290 EITC
Phone: (204) 474-8974