Applied and basic research involving the study of viral zoonotic and vector-borne pathogens such as West Nile virus, dengue virus, Jamestown Canyon virus and hantaviruses. Current research initiatives include the development and application of diagnostic platforms for enhancing surveillance for emerging mosquito-borne pathogens such as the California serogroup and Cache Valley viruses which are of increasing concern with respect to public health and livestock disease. As well, the phylogenetic characterization of these agents and mechanisms of their transmission and pathogenesis are ongoing research activities currently being pursued.
For a list of Dr. Drebot's publications, please click here
1. Drebot MA, Gavrilovskaya I, Mackow ER, Chen Z, Lindsay R, Johnson A, Nichol ST, Artsob H. 2001. Genetic and serotypic characterization of Sin Nombre-like viruses in Canadian Peromyscus maniculatus mice. Virus Research 75:75-86.
2. Drebot MA, Artsob H. 2005 West Nile virus. Can Fam Physician 51:1094 – 1099.
3. Safronetz D, Lindsay R, Hjelle B, Medina RA, Mirowsky-Garcia K, Drebot MA. 2007. Use of IgG avidity to indirectly monitor epizootic transmission of sin nombre virus in deer mice (Peromyscus maniculatus). Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:1135-9.
4. Levett PN, Sonnenberg K, Sidaway F, Shead S, Niedrig M, Steinhagen K, Horsman GB, Drebot MA. Use of IgG avidity assays for differentiation of primary from previous infections with West Nile virus. J Clin Microbiol 43: 5873-5875.
5. Meier-Stephenson V, Langley JM, Drebot M, Artsob H. 2007. Encephalitis in the summer: a case of snowshoe hare (California serogroup) virus infection in Nova Scotia. Can Commun Dis Rep. 33:23-6.
6. Tyler S, Boiling BG, Blair CD, Brault A, Pabbaraju K, Calisher C, Drebot MA. 2011 Phylogenetic comparison of a novel mosquito flavivirus present in Culex tarsalis mosquitoes collected in western Canada with viruses isolated in California and Colorado. Am J Trop Med Hyg. Jul;85(1):162-8
7. Goff G, Whitney H, Drebot MA. 2012 Roles of host species, geographic separation, and isolation in the seroprevalence of Jamestown Canyon and snowshoe hare viruses in Newfoundland. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012 Sep;78(18):6734-40. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01351-12. Epub 2012 Jul 13.
8. Drebot MA. 2015 Emerging mosquito-borne bunyaviruses in Canada. Canada Communicable Disease Report June; 41(6): 117-123.