Call Number: Mss 209 (A.96-39)
Title: Dauphin Agricultural Society fonds.
Extent: 0.93 m of textual records.
Administrative history: The Dauphin Agricultural
Society was established in 1892. Its goals have always been to promote
all facets of agriculture in the Dauphin region, as well as encourage
area youth to know and love agricultural pursuits. These goals are
promoted through its annual Dauphin Fair.
The first Dauphin Fair was held in 1897 and grew substantially
from year to year. The first Seed Grain Show was a part of the 1906
fair. In 1907, horse racing was added to the festivities as well
as a sports program. In 1909, school exhibits were instituted. The
Society assisted in the construction of exhibition facilities including
midway and grandstand attractions.
The annual fair continued to add other activities such as a dressed
poultry show in 1913. In 1919, the Dauphin Agricultural Society
joined the Manitoba Agricultural Fairs Association and then the
Canadian Trotting Association upon it's establishment. The Society
was previously a member of the American Trotting Association. The
Society became economically challenged in the 1920s following its
rapid expansion program, but Dauphin town and rural councils came
to the Society's aid in 1922 when it assumed the Society's mortgage
debt and other liabilities in return for the property assets. The
financial situation of the Dauphin Agricultural Society greatly
improved following this measure.
With its financial situation somewhat improved, the Dauphin Agricultural
Society expanded its programs. In 1933, the first agricultural representative
for Dauphin was elected and supported by the Agricultural Society.
In 1937, crop competitions were added and a rural youth training
plan committee was introduced. Around 1950, the directorate of the
Dauphin Agricultural Society decided to improve the fair facilities
so that it could accomodate larger crowds. With federal and local
government assistance, the Society moved its facilities to a new
location at the Dauphin Memorial and Community Centre site. An arena
and curling rink were built, in part, to house fair exhibitions.
Throughout the years, the Summer Fair continued to expand. The
youth training program was a great success. A Home Economist was
acquired in 1951 when the extension service realized that the girls'
program for 4-H clubs required a full-time supervisor. That same
year, a Seed Grain show was held in conjunction with the Short Course,
adding to it the very popular Bacon Carcass Show. In 1966, a Youth
Leadership course replaced the Short Course. A Sheep and Swine Show
and Sale was added to the Society's programs in 1954. It became
an annual event until a dearth of entries caused its cancellation
From 1957 to 1960, the Dauphin Agricultural Society presented the
Manitoba Shorthorn regional show, the Hereford regional show, and
the sheep regional show. The 4-H Regional Rally became one of the
most popular of the Society's programs. Dauphin Fairs began to take
on a more western flare in 1964 with the introduction of Rodeo programs,
western breakfasts, western horse racing, chuckwagon races, horseshoe
tournaments, and a western orchestra.
Custodial history: The fonds was donated to University
of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections by the Dauphin Agricultural
Society in 1996.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of ledgers,
cash books, minute books, cheque journals, auditors reports, and
account books of the Dauphin Agricultural Society and associated
Source of supplied title: Title based on contents
of the fonds.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this
Accruals: Further accruals to this fonds may be
Finding aid: A printed finding aid is available
in the Archives reading room and an on-line finding aid is available
at the link below: