Men's Music Club of Winnipeg fonds, 1915-1980
92 cm of textual records
The Club was founded by a group of 40 businessmen in December
1915 for the purpose of promoting the art of music. Recitals were
held initially every Saturday evening at the Royal Alexander Hotel.
Within the first couple of years membership figures averaged around
120 of which approximately thirty per cent were professional musicians.
In 1916 the Club organized a Male Voice Quartet which eventually
became the famous Winnipeg Male Voice Choir under the leadership
of Hugh Ross. In 1919 the Manitoba Musical Competition Festival
was organized followed by the Boys Choir under the conductorship
of Miss Ethel Kinley in 1925. The Philharmonic Choir was formed
independently in 1922 under the leadership of the Club conductor,
Hugh Ross. The Philharmonic Choir was taken over by the Club as
one of its sections. In 1946 The Civic Music League was formed by
the Club and, through it, the formation of the Winnipeg Symphony
Donated by the Men's Music Club, 1980
The collection contains membership records, constitution and by-laws,
correspondence, minutes of meetings, programs, publicity brochures,
and a history.
Open to all researchers