MSS 127, PC 136, MC 17
Title: North-West Line Elevators fonds
Extent: 6.12 m of textual records and other material
Administrative History: North-West Line Elevators
was first organized by the Manitoba Elevator Operators in 1899,
under the name North-West Elevator Association. The membership included
twenty-four companies or individuals representing 272 country elevators.
In 1904 the Association was incorporated by a special act of the
Manitoba Legislature under the name of the North-West Grain Dealers
Association. The membership had increased threefold to include 95
companies or individuals representing 780 elevators. John Love was
the first president of newly incorporated Association. The first
ten years were marked by rapid expansion. By 1910 the membership
had risen to 164 companies or individuals with the number of elevators
practically doubling to 1500. Five years later 30 more companies
had come on board with the number of elevators growing to 2900.
Through amalgamation of some of the smaller companies the roster
declined to 101 companies in 1925 but the number of elevators increased
to 3741. During the Depression in 1935 the membership declined to
55 companies but still managed to represent 3345 elevators. In 1937
the Manitoba Legislature amended the Association's capital stock
set up. In 1940 the company changed its name to the North-West Line
Elevators Association. The Association lobbied for preferable rail
rates for shipping. They attempted to block line abandonments by
the C.P.R. and C.N.R. The Farm Service side of the Association performed
grain research through its demonstration plots and seed testing
laboratory. At its peak the Association cover elevators spanning
the Prairie Provinces & Thunder Bay and represented the interests
of most of the leading grain companies in Western Canada. The company
still had an administrative board in 1992 but two years later it
had come under control of N.M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. and is now dormant.
Scope and Content: The fonds consists of seven
series; Corporate Records, 1899-1972; Public Relations, 1935-1972;
Financial Records, 1904-1985; Legal Records, 1954-1969; Operational
Records, 1913-1977; Map Collection (MC 17), 1963-1975; Photograph
Collection (PC 136), 1940-1963
Source of Supplied Title: Title based upon contents
of the fonds
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Finding Aid: An on-line finding aid is available
at the link below and a printed finding aid is available in the
Archives' reading room.
127, PC 136, MC 17
We greatly acknowledge the financial support of the Manitoba Department
of Culture, Heritage and Tourism and the Heritage Grants Advisory
Council in the creation of this finding aid.