University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

SMR Breeders Co-op fonds, 1952-1980

MSS 128

28 cm of textual records

Artificial insemination in cattle was first introduced in Manitoba in the early 1940s. A company concerned with cattle insemination was started up in 1952 by a group of local farmers and businessmen from the Stanley and Rhineland municipalities, from which its first official name was derived, S & R Artificial Breeders. The first annual meeting was held on 1 May 1952. The goal of the association was to help farmers enhance the quality of milk and beef. On 16 May 1952 the association had bred its first cow through artificial insemination, and after funding was received by the Department of Agriculture an insemination technician was hired. In 1960 the association was officially incorporated and named SMR Breeders Co-op Ltd., the M representing the municipality of Montcalm. The growth of the association peaked in 1962 when over 2800 cows had been artificially bred. By the late 1970s, SMR ran into financial difficulties and was hurt by lack of interest. In 1979 at its 27th annual meeting, the members decided to dissolve the association.

The fonds was donated to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections in 1994 by Bernie Zacharias, secretary of the association.

The fonds consists of receipt and account books, minute books, financial records, insemination reports, membership information, certificates, and correspondence.

Title based upon contents of the fonds

There are no restrictions on this material

No further accruals are expected

Finding aid available