Title: The Winnipeg Tribune Printing Plates and
Extent: .75 m printing plates and printed newspapers
Historical Note: The Winnipeg Tribune flourished
as a lively alternative to The Winnipeg Free Press from
1890 until it ceased publication in 1980. Following the newspaper's
demise the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
was able to acquire the clipping "morgue" and much of the photographic
collection of the paper. The University of Manitoba's Tribune
collection has become a valuable resource for researching Winnipeg,
Manitoba and Western Canadian topics. The printing plates of this
collection illustrate one aspect of printing technology used by
the Tribune during its almost century of publication -
"hot-metal" typesetting represented by artifacts already held by
the Archives another. Developed around the turn of the century,
the lithographic process, represented by the plates in this collection,
had, by the late 1960s, come to dominate the newspaper printing
technology of North America. The process has since been replaced
by digital methods.
Custodial History: Arnold Ross donated these printing plates
and newspapers to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special
Collections in 2001. Mr. Ross had been employed by the The Winnipeg
Tribune before it ceased publication.
Scope and Content: The Winnipeg Tribune Printing
Plates and Newspapers Collection consists of lithographic printing
plates from a December 1, 1969, morning and afternoon edition, and
three newspapers dated 1924, 1939, and 1950.
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on access
to this material.
Accruals: No other accruals are expected.
Finding Aid: Finding aid does not exist.