MSS SC 88, PC 98
Title: Lionel Lemoin Fitzgerald fonds
Extent: 0.5 cm of textual records. -- 2 photographs
Biographical Sketch: Lionel Lemoine Fitzgerald
was born in Winnipeg and received his early art instruction at the
Keszthelyi School of Fine Art. Later he was employed as a commercial
artist with Stovel Company and Eaton's display department. In 1921
he studied at the Art Students' League in New York and that same
year held his first exhibition in the Winnipeg Art Gallery. He joined
the staff of the Winnipeg School of Art in 1924 and in 1929 became
its Principal. In 1932 he was invited to become a member of the
Group of Seven following the death of J.E.H. MacDonald. When the
Group disbanded Fitzgerald became a founding member of the Canadian
Group of Painters.
He was a highly respected teacher as well as a versatile artist
skilled in such various media as oils, watercolors, charcoal, pen,
and crayon. He also embossed in copper and sculpted. His early works
were of the prairies and his immediate surroundings. Later he turned
to still life and still later to abstracts.
Fitzgerald retired in 1949 and received an honorary degree from
the University of Manitoba in 1952. He died in 1956 and a memorial
exhibition, mounted by the National Gallery, opened in Winnipeg
in 1958 and subsequently toured the major galleries in the country.
Custodial History: The fonds was donated to Archives
& Special Collections in two separate accessions in 1983 by
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Whitney Morrison. The material in the first accession
(A.83-09) was split among this fonds and the Bertram Brooker fonds
Scope and Content: The fonds consists of a fragment
of a dictionary with notations by Lionel Henry Fitzgerald, correspondence,
and a certificate of appreciation from the Canadian Government Pavilion
at Expo '67. Two black and white photographs of Patricia Fitzgerald
are now held as PC 98.
Source of Supplied Title: Title based on provenance
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this
Finding Aid: Printed finding aid is available.