Call Number: Pc 214 (A.07-28)
Title: Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University
of Jerusalem. Winnipeg Chapter fonds.
Extent: 1 album (16 photographs: sepia toned).
Administrative history: The Canadian Friends of
the Hebrew University is a national, non-profit organization that
develops and promotes awareness of, leadership in, and financial
support for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The Winnipeg Chapter
was founded in 1948.
Custodial history: The Canadian Friends of the
Hebrew University were presented with the collection by Max Steinkop's
family. In 2006, the collection was donated to University of Manitoba
Archives & Special Collections by the Canadian Friends of the
Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter.
Scope and content: The fonds consists of photographic
reprints depicting the opening of the Hebrew University campus at
Mount Scopus, Jerusalem on April 1, 1925 and the surrounding region.
The focus is on the University' of Manitoba's representative, Dr.
Edmund Guthrie Perry, head of the Department of Classics, and Max
Steinkopf, a prominent Winnipeg lawyer and business executive who
accompanied Dr. Perry on the trip. Other dignitaries found in the
photos include Lord Arthur James Balfour, British Foreign Secretary,
Viscount Allenby, and Sir Herbert Samuel.
Source of supplied title: Title based on provenance
Restrictions: There are no restrictions on this
Accruals: No further accruals are expected.
Finding aid: A finding aid for this fonds is currently
here to view digital reproductions of the photograph collection.