University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

UA 15, PC 17

Title: Manitoba Agricultual College fonds

Dates: 1901-1946

Extent: 4.75 m of textual records. -- 2680 photographs.

Administrative History: In 1902 the Agricultural College Commission unanimously supported the creation of an agricultural college in the Tuxedo area of west Winnipeg. The new Manitoba Agricultural College (M.A.C.) grew rapidly and became affiliated with the University of Manitoba in 1906. In 1907 the first courses were offered in Household Sciences, later renamed Home Economics. In 1912 the College dissolved ties with the University of Manitoba in a dispute over administrative autonomy but rejoined the University four years later when the provincial government promised the College a new site. The eventual site was south and west of the then city limits in Fort Garry. Although relations between the Manitoba Agricultural College and the University of Manitoba were often strained, the University and College settled their differences in 1924. At that time the College's administration was integrated with the University and the College became the Faculty of Agriculture.

Custodial History: The fonds was donated to Archives & Special Collections in numerous accessions throughout the years.

Scope and Content: The fonds consists mainly of correspondence, some financial records, and minutes from meetings of the M.A.C. faculty, Advisory Council and Board of Directors from 1904 to 1946.

Source of Supplied Title: Title based upon contents of the fonds

Restrictions: There are no restrictions on access to this material.

Accruals: No further accruals are expected

Finding Aid: A printed finding aid for this fonds is available in the Archives reading room and an electronic finding aid is available at the link below:

UA 15, PC 17