Units and DepartmentsArchives and Special CollectionsOur Collections Faculty of Education, est. 1935

Faculty of Education fonds, 1933-1974

5 m of textual records (42 boxes)

UA 36

The first teacher training course was offered at the William Avenue Normal School in 1906 but a formal university education program did not develop until 1930. In that year the University of Manitoba and the Provincial Department of Education established a curriculum leading to a Masters degree in Education. Originally the School of Education it became, in 1935, the Faculty of Education. For many years the Faculty was spread out through various buildings on the Fort Garry campus until 1962 when it moved into a new building on campus. The Manitoba Teacher's College, successor to the Normal School, was absorbed into the Faculty in 1965.

From 1959 to 1973, under Dean John M. Brown, elementary teaching was transferred to the University of Manitoba and a Bachelor of Education program was developed. From 1974 to 1983, under Dean McPherson, a two year post-Baccalaureat program was offered for students who had already achieved a graduate degree and wished to transfer to Education.

The collection, covering the years 1933 to 1974, includes budget reports, faculty committee minutes and reports, Faculty Council minutes, course proposals, some personnel records, and a substantial body of correspondence from the Dean's office.

Open to all researchers, with restrictions on confidential material

Finding aid available

 

UNPROCESSED RECORDS (1961-1991)

10.2 m of textual records (34 boxes)

Contact the Archives for details on specific accessions