University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

9.2 m of textual records (23 boxes)

UA 28

The present Faculty of Human Ecology traces its beginnings to a diploma in Household Sciences in 1910 at the Manitoba Agricultural College. The Diploma program became a degree in Home Economics in 1915. Three years later Mary Kelso was named first director of the Home Economics. In 1924 the Manitoba Agricultural College became the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics at the University of Manitoba.

In 1943 the Division of Home Economics became the School of Home Economics, but remained within the Faculty of Agriculture. In 1950 the School of Home Economics moved back into its original building following renovations, ending 26 years of residence in temporary buildings. The departments of Food and Nutrition and Clothing and Textiles were created in 1967.

Not until 1970 was the School of Home Economics granted official faculty status, ending a 60 year tie with the Faculty of Agriculture. In the following year, a Department of Family Studies was created with Dr. Lola Jackson as head. The Faculty changed its name in 1981 to Human Ecology, reflecting the diversification of curricula. The next year saw the creation of a Bachelor degree in Human Ecology, and in 1983 a PhD in Food and Nutritional Sciences was offered in conjunction with the Faculty of Agriculture.

The collection contains budget reports, Department of Clothing and Textiles testing service contracts, committee reports, Faculty Council minutes, course offerings, student lists, and news clippings from 1903 to 1986. The bulk of the collection covers the period 1960 to 1985.

Open to all researchers, with restrictions on confidential material

Finding aid available