UA 9, UA SC 50, TC 32, MC 5
Title: University of Manitoba Libraries fonds
Dates: 1897, 1905-1987
Extent: 15 m of textual records. -- 6 audio cassettes.
-- 3 maps.
Administrative History: The first library established
at the University of Manitoba was in the Department of Science in
1904. In 1907 the University Council set aside a yearly sum for
the purchase of books and bound journals, and Mrs. W.H. Thompson
was appointed first University Librarian. In 1935 a Carnegie Corporation
grant allowed for the establishment of a junior library in the University
administration building; however, the library collection still remained
scattered among several buildings on both the Fort Garry and Broadway
In 1953, to commemorate the University's 75th anniversary, construction
began on a new central library eventually called the Elizabeth Dafoe
Library in honour of Miss Dafoe's 23 years of service as head librarian.
Additions were made to the Dafoe Library in 1960, 1963 and again
in 1981 to accommodate the growing number of acquisitions and students.
Presently, in addition to the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, the University
of Manitoba Libraries system includes the following units: Agriculture,
Architecture and Fine Arts, Dental (Nielson), Education (D.S. Woods),
Engineering (Donald W. Craik), Law (E.K. Williams), Management (Albert
D. Cohen), Medical, Music (Ekhardt Gramatte), St. John's, St. Paul's
Custodial History: The fonds has been transferred
to Archives & Special Collections in numerous accessions. UA
SC 50 was previously classified as MSS SC 49 but was changed to
more accurately reflect its provenance. Numerous accessions remain
unprocessed. MC 5 was transferred to the University of Manitoba
Archives & Special Collections by the Maps and Atlases Department,
Dafoe Library, University of Manitoba, February 23rd, 2002. Librarian
Hugh Larimer was in charge of the transfer of the maps to the archives.
Scope and Content: The University Libraries collection
(UA 9) contains correspondence, reports, surveys, statistics and
minutes, with files pertaining to Library Committees, acquisitions,
library budgets, staff, publications, circulation of library material,
library holdings and collections, and grants and awards. The collection
documents the work of the Libraries Administration and the unit
libraries within the Libraries' system. UA SC 50 and TC 32 consists
of enrollment forms, correspondence, budget information, minutes,
and audio cassettes recording the "Continuing Education: Library
and Information Needs" conference. The conference was sponsored
by the University of Manitoba Libraries, Public Library Services,
the Manitoba Library Association, and the Continuing Education Division
of the University of Manitoba. MC 5 consists of three maps. Two
of the maps are identical and entitled Transportation Map (of) Greater
Winnipeg, showing street Car Trolley Bus and Bus Lines. These maps,
published by the Winnipeg Electric Company, depict the various public
transportation routes available in 1941 Winnipeg. The third map
is a map of Manitoba, published in 1897 with the authority of the
provincial government of Manitoba by the Bulman Brothers and Co.
Map Engravers of Winnipeg.
Source of Supplied Title: Title based on provenance
Restrictions: Open to all researchers.
Finding Aid: Printed finding aid available