University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

11.4 m of textual records (38 boxes)

UA 32

The first class in business was taught at the University of Manitoba in 1916. However, it was another twenty years until a Bachelor degree was considered when, with the support from the business community and President Sydney E. Smith, the University created the Department of Commerce and the Department of Actuarial Science.

In 1948 President Gillson recommended that a School of Commerce be created within the Faculty of Arts and Science, and in 1950 the Department of Commerce was renamed the Department of Business Administration and Finance.

In 1966 the Senate approved the Commerce Council's recommendation to develop a certificate course in Management. The first Master of Business Administration degree was awarded in 1969, and in 1970 the School of Commerce became a Faculty. The Faculty of Commerce again changed its name in 1972 to the Faculty of Administrative Studies, following their move into the Frank Kennedy Building. In 1988 the Faculty of Administrative Studies became the Faculty of Management upon relocation to the Drake Centre for Management Studies.

The Faculty of Management records (1938-1986) include committee minutes and reports, board minutes, course offerings, budgets, and correspondence with the Banff School of Advanced Management and other business and community organizations. The records also include interdepartmental correspondence, Dean's Council and Faculty Council minutes, and correspondence related to academic staff.

Open to all researchers, with restrictions on confidential material

Finding aid available