University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

1.8 m of textual records (6 boxes)

A 92-31, A 95-37

The University of Manitoba assumed responsibility for province-wide examinations in Music from the Department of Education in 1935. At the same time, Manitoba joined Saskatchewan and Alberta in an effort to coordinate music examination by means of a joint syllabus and common Theory examination in all grades. The Department of Music at the University of Manitoba began in 1944 when classes in music theory and history were instituted as electives for Arts and Science students. In 1964, soon after Senate approved a series of courses leading to a Bachelor of Music degree, the School of Music was established. A new building was completed and officially opened in November 1965. Since then, the School has seen rapid growth with the institution of a four-year Bachelor of Music Program in 1974 and the Integrated Bachelor of Music/Bachelor of Education degrees in 1984.

The collection contains budget records, committee and council records, registrations, examinations, applications, and records related to various music scholarships, bursaries and awards, as well as files documenting the relationship between the School and other university and non university organizations. The collection also contains one volume of correspondence from the Manitoba Music Option Board.

Contact the Archives for details on specific accessions