University of Manitoba University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Archives & Special Collections Archives & Special Collections UM Libraries
About the U of M Contact Information Maps Faculties myUMinfo

line




 

UA 47

Title: Faculty of Science fonds - Dean's and Associate Dean's Offices Series

Dates: 1936-1985

Extent: 2.4 m of textual records

Administrative History: Formal instruction in the sciences began at the University of Manitoba in 1904 with courses in Natural and Physical Science, Mathematics, Histology, Pathology and Bacteriology, Geology and Mineralogy and Botany. Bachelor degrees were first offered in Arts and Science in 1914, and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was formally established in 1921. Plans were made in 1956 to build a new complex of buildings for the rapidly growing science departments which resulted in the completion in 1959 of the Frank Allen Physics Building, the Matthew Parker Chemistry Building, and the Armes Lecture Hall.

Following its split from Arts in 1970, the Faculty of Science consisted of the following ten departments: Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Botany, Biology, Microbiology and Zoology. In the same year construction began on a new Sciences and Technology Library Tower and in 1971 Zoology moved to its new home in the Duff Roblin Building. In the following year the Department of Precambrian Studies began. Applied Mathematics was added in 1974, and in 1975 the Northeast Multi-Purpose building with the Sciences and Technology Library was renamed in honour of the Universities first Chancellor Archbishop A. Machray. Also in 1975, a program in Astronomy was offered. The new Wallace Earth Sciences building was completed in 1985.

The first four members of the Science faculty were appointed in 1904. In 1921, a combined Faculty of Arts and Science was formed and at that time provided instruction in undergraduate courses in both Arts and Science and to a limited extent, graduate studies. The Faculty of Science became a separate faculty in 1970 and at present includes the departments of Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics and Astronomy, Statistics, Zoology, and interdisciplinary programs in Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Ecology, Genetics, Psychology and Actuarial Mathematics. Co-op education 'options' are also available in certain departments and programs. The key administrative personnel in the Faculty of Science are the Dean and the Associate Deans.

Custodial History: The fonds was donated to Archives & Special Collections by the Faculty of Science in several instalments over the years.

Scope and Content: This series includes Science Faculty Council minutes and correspondence, the Dean's correspondence, and minutes and other records from the Science Faculty Council Executive, Arts and Science Liaison Committee, Senate Admissions Committee and other faculty committees. There are records related to the creation of the separate Faculty of Science, the structure of the Biology Division, and the feasibility of creating a Department of Applied Mathematics.

Restrictions: Confidential records are marked restricted.

Accruals: Further accruals to this fonds are expected.

Finding Aid: Finding aid does not exist