7.9 m of textual records (18 boxes)
The seed of social work education was planted during the depression;
however, it was not until 1943 that Senate and the Board of Governors
approved a one year program leading to a diploma in Social Work.
At the time it was included in the Faculty of Arts and Science and
occupied an old Chemistry lab at the University's Broadway site.
In 1948, the School offered a two year Bachelor of Social Work degree
and in 1952 a Master of Social Work. The School was admitted into
the American Association of Schools of Social Work in 1949 and received
official accreditation in 1958. In 1968, the first four year program
was initiated, and 1972 saw the Bachelor of Social Work program
reorganized into a three-year program of professional education
followed by a year of general study in Arts. The school was closely
associated with the Department of Continuing Education. They jointly
sponsored courses, seminars, institutes and workshops. The University
Senate and Board of Governors approved a change in status from School
to Faculty of Social Work in 1989.
The collection contains course outlines, committee records, curricula,
staff records and various project proposals from 1948 to 1980. It
also contains correspondence with the Canadian Association of Schools
of Social Work, the Continuing Education Division and Health and
Welfare Canada as well as a substantial body of correspondence by
the School's Director.
Open to all researchers
Finding aid available