Many students prefer to work on campus and there are a variety of positions available - from research assistant work to food service and administrative roles. On-campus work and volunteering is also a great way to build connections and community. Here are the main websites that list on-campus job opportunities:
- CareerCONNECT posts on-campus and off-campus jobs and volunteer opportunities for students. Register to view postings.
- University of Manitoba Human Resources posts jobs of all kinds. Student jobs are typically posted within “Support/Managerial, Sessional Instructor, CUPE/student” or "Research Student Grant-Funded Jobs".
- UMSU hires students to work for their office, as well as Degrees Restaurant, The Hub, the Digital Copy Centre, G.P.A.'s Convenience Store and I.Q’s Cafe & Billiards. Check their social media feeds for opportunities (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) or email UMSU to inquire.
- Work-Study Program hires students with documented financial need (see the website for eligibility details). Recruitment typically spans from mid-August to early September each year.
Don't forget to access the "hidden job market" - positions that are not advertised and are instead filled through networking. Here are some ideas:
- Talk to professors! They often hire students whom they are familiar with as grader/markers, teaching assistants, or research assistants.
- Private businesses and food service areas located on-campus are other potential sources of jobs at the University of Manitoba. If you're interested in finding out more about these employment opportunities, visit the employer directly. Pembina Hall, Conference & Catering, and the Campus Day Care are some other examples of places that may have part-time employment opportunities.
When you're connecting with employers take along a tailored resumé that you created specifically with that job in mind and offer to leave a copy with them.
Career Services offers many job search preparation resources such as workshops, webshops, and online workbooks. Students are also invited to visit during our drop-in times to chat with a Career Consultant for further support.