Homestay homes must be located near the university, with no more than 35 minutes travel time by bus, with no more than one bus transfer, and a maximum walking time of 10 minutes from the home to the bus stop.
Homestay homes must provide:
- A private bedroom for each student furnished with a comfortable bed and bedding, dresser, desk, lamp, and closet. Towels should also be provided.
- Every bedroom is to provide a window that has an unobstructed area when open of at least 0.35 m sq. (3.77 sq. ft.) with no dimension less than 380 mm (15 in.). The bottom of the window should not be more than 1.5 m (app. 5 ft) from the floor. If the window is more than 1.5 m then steps or furniture located to get to window is to be provided.
- Wireless internet
- Laundry facilities: washer, dryer, laundry detergent. If host is living in an apartment with shared laundry facilities, host is required to pay laundry costs for the student.
- Cleaning supplies for the student to keep their private living space clean.
- Smoke alarms located on each floor between the bedroom and living area.
- Fire extinguisher
The Homestay program reserves the right to choose hosts using these criteria and to remove hosts from the program who fail to continue to meet these criteria.