Accommodation Service Manager
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, labour market information, job boards and more – to explore the possibilities open to you.
Accommodation Service Managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations of accommodation establishments or departments within these establishments: hotels, motels, resorts, and student residences (National Occupational Classification).
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. occupational information and details
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- A Day in the Life of a Hotel Manager (The Princeton Review)
- A day in the life of a Hotel General Manager (Hcareers article)
- Generation Next: Meet some of Canada's up-and-coming hospitality leaders -Hotelier magazine article
The University of Manitoba does not offer specific training in hospitality or hotel management. However, students may choose to study business, management or other related programs and apply this training to the accommodations services and tourism industry.
UM Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar and Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and department homepages
Visit UM's faculty and department homepages to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities. The following faculties offer courses relevant for this profession.
Exploring other education options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Explore Careers: Job Market Report (Winnipeg region) (Government of Canada job bank)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Job outlook for the U.S.
- U.S. industry reports from the AHLA (wage surveys and workforce snapshot reports)
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
Directories, industry associations, and sector councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Manitoba Hotel Association
- Manitoba Lodges & Outfitters Association
- Hotel Association of Canada
- American Hotel & Lodging Association
- Tourism HR Canada
- Tourism Industry Association of Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.