Licensing Process in Manitoba

 In Canada, engineering is a regulated profession

Each Provincial and Territorial government has laws that call for a professional association to be created to do the day-to-day work of regulating the engineering profession. Regulating the profession includes setting standards for entry into the profession and ensuring that everyone practicing engineering is qualified to do so.

In Manitoba, the professional association that regulates and governs the engineering profession is  Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. In day-to-day talk, you will hear Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba  called "the professional association" or "the regulatory body". Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba’s purpose is to serve and protect the interests of the public of Manitoba by governing and advancing the practice of engineering. It is Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba’s responsibility to ensure that all persons registered to practice engineering in Manitoba are qualified to do so, in part by having the appropriate academic background and experience.

For an engineer, a primary effect of being part of a regulated profession is that, according to the law, you may not call yourself an engineer and you may not practice engineering in Manitoba unless you are a registered member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.  This is called the "right to title" and the "right to practice."  The process of becoming a registered member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba is often called "getting a P.Eng." or "getting a P.Eng. license". The only way to get a P.Eng. license is to become a registered member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. There is no other agency or association that can issue a P.Eng. license in Manitoba.

There are two major qualifications to become registered as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Manitoba.  This registration requirement is the same for engineers born in Canada or abroad and for engineers educated in Canada or abroad. 

  • Academic qualification:  an engineering degree from an accredited Canadian institution, or equivalent; and,
  • Acceptable engineering work experience: a minimum of 4 years of acceptable work experience, of which at least one year must be in Canada.

To achieve academic qualification, internationally-educated engineers start with an Assessment of Academic Credentials with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.

Often, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba assigns Confirmatory Exams to internationally-educated engineers in order to be considered academically qualified.  Confirmatory examinations are professional-level examinations, covering material typically studied in the final two years of a baccalaureate program.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba often offers the applicant multiple options to meet the Confirmatory Exam requirements.  These include:

  • Writing Confirmatory Exams as administered by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba;
  • For some applicants with 10+ years' professional experience, offering a panel interview to waive some or all Confirmatory Exams;
  • Completing the American Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam in lieu of Confirmatory Exams;
  • Completing University of Manitoba equivalent courses in lieu of Confirmatory Exams;
  • Completing a M.Eng., M.Sc. or Ph.D. in engineering from a CEAB-accredited institution;
  • For applicants assigned five or fewer Confirmatory Exams, completing the IEEQ Program in lieu of Confirmatory Exams. 

The participant may choose to complete either the IEEQ Program at the University of Manitoba or to complete one of the other pathways offered by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba to achieve academic qualification for licensing.  At the successful completion of the IEEQ Program, participants will be recognized by Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba as having met the requirements for academic qualification.