Students, staff and faculty participating in University of Manitoba travel are encouraged to use the following resources in case of emergency:
The University of Manitoba’s first point of contact in an emergency, International SOS provides comprehensive medical and travel security assistance service. They are available 24/7, 365 days per year, and free to faculty, students, and staff. They can help you manage risks pre-departure and respond to medical or travel emergencies – such as hospitalization, natural disasters/conflict, or lost passports – while you are away.
- Request your free International SOS card from the International Centre
Carry this card with you whenever you travel.
- U of M Membership Number: 27AYCA524935
- Dedicated Tel: +1 (215) 942-8478
- Register online and download their free mobile app for up-to-date travel information
Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)
- All Canadian students, staff, and faculty should register with ROCA prior to departure: www.travel.gc.ca/roca
- Registration allows the Government of Canada to notify you in case of an emergency, and enables you to receive important information and supports, including emergency evacuation, before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.
Global Affairs Canada (Canadian Foreign Affairs)
- Global Affairs Canada offers numerous resources on a variety of topics, including medical, cultural and other travel topics. You can also browse travel advice and advisories prior to travel, and download their free mobile app.
- Emergency contact:
- A list of Canadian offices abroad can be found at the following website: https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/embassies-consulates
U of M Security Services
Tel: 1-204-474-9341 (collect, 24/7 service, 365 days per year)
Prior to your departure, provide the following information to Security Services so that they can help you to receive assistance in emergency situations:
- Name & UM student/staff number
- Phone number or email address
Students overseas are also encouraged to contact their local program coordinator or administrative contact in case of an emergency.
If you have questions regarding your travel and safety, please contact your U of M Program Coordinator or the International Centre