1. All full-time members of the academic staff of the University of Manitoba who hold the rank of Assistant Professor or above; those who have been appointed to the rank of Professor Emeritus/Emerita, Senior Scholar, Distinguished Professor, or Distinguished Professor Emeritus/Emerita; those who have been appointed as Adjunct Professors.
1.1 Full-time Faculty who are "Members of the Faculty of Graduate Studies" and subsequently take a reduced appointment, at age 69 due to the Collective Agreement, or at other times, should continue to be treated as full-time "Members of the Faculty of Graduate Studies."
2. Those members of the academic staff of the University of Manitoba who do not hold the rank of Assistant Professor or above, but whom the Vice-President (Academic) and Provost has approved upon the basis of recommendations from the Head of the faculty member's department or unit and from the Head of the department or unit in which the work will be done. Such appointments are held for the specific period of time (not to exceed 3 years) necessary to complete the relevant teaching or supervision.
3. Those administrative officers of the University of Manitoba as may be appointed by the Board of Governors.
Graduate Student Supervision
Only “Members of the Faculty of Graduate Studies” who are attached to departments, schools, or other units offering graduate program(s) are eligible to supervise graduate students. Advisors may not supervise a candidate for a degree higher than the one s/he holds unless recommended by the unit head and approved by the Faculty of Graduate Studies to do so.
1. General meetings of the Faculty of Graduate Studies may be called from time to time by the Dean of Graduate Studies.
2. A special general meeting of the faculty must be called by the Dean within ten days of receipt of a written request signed by fifty or more members of the Faculty.
3. A quorum for a general meeting of the Faculty shall be 100 members of the Faculty.
4. Student members of the Faculty Council of Graduate Studies shall be entitled to attend all such general meetings and have full rights of participation therein.
5. Subject to the right of the President to preside, the Dean or his/her delegate shall preside at all meetings of the Faculty.
Powers to Act
General meetings of the Faculty shall have the power to make recommendations to the Faculty Council with reference to any matters that are properly within the jurisdiction of the Faculty Council.
~updated: Jan 9, 2009.