University professors (4011) are employed by degree-granting schools to teach and produce works of art or conduct research and publish their research findings. College, technical and vocational instructors (4021) provide instruction to adults in a wide variety of subject areas including vocational, technical, business or services training, trades, academic upgrading, university transfer courses and university degree program courses. (alis)

In addition to those below, you may find relevant career information and job search resources on the scientist and specialist pages relevant to your discipline (e.g. Biologist, Historian). Revisit the occupational index to also explore those pages.

Occupational profile


University Professors are required to have a doctoral degree in the field of specialization. A master's degree in the field of specialization is required for university lecturers. University professors who are also practitioners in their field must have the appropriate licenses or certification. (NOC) 

College Instructors are required to have a bachelor's degree, a college diploma or demonstrated expertise in the field of instruction. A master's degree in the field of instruction may be required and/or a certificate, diploma or degree in adult education. Instructors of trades are required to complete apprenticeship training and industry or trade certification; additional courses in teaching or a provincial teaching certificate may be required. (NOC)

U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor

Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.

Exploring Other Education Options

Information for foreign-trained professionals - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

Explore Funding Options

Funding opportunities exist for Graduate students in Canada that can financially support you while professionalizing your CV.

PhD/Specific Fields:

  • NSERC - Natural Science and Engineering Research of Canada
  • SSHRC - Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council
  • CIHR - Canadian Institutes of Health Research

Master's (All Programs):

  • CGS-M - Canadian Graduate Scholarships - Master's Program

Labour market information

Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts. 


Professional Associations
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network! 

Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring. 

Job Boards
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.