Why this program?
The James W. Burns Executive Education Centre delivers the Directors Education Programs (DEP) jointly developed by the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) and the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto. The ICD is the only globally recognized director organization in Canada, and they strive to develop informed, prepared, ethical, connected, courageous and engaged leaders. It is committed to the universal practice of good corporate governance by fostering excellence in directorship.
Directors are continually challenged by information gaps, time squeezes and the behavioural dynamics that can be encountered in the boardroom. The ICD-Rotman DEP has been specifically designed to help experienced directors overcome these challenges by introducing activities and processes that assist them in fulfilling their role.
Complemented by some of Canada’s most accomplished and highly respected directors-in-residence, this 12-day course is taught by leading governance experts delivered in four three-day modules. The program offers experiential learning through breakouts and board simulations tailored to meet the needs of directors from public and private companies, Crown corporations, public institutions, co-operatives, and large not-for-profit organizations across Canada.
- The DEP is the only program of its kind in Canada that bears the seal of the director community itself.
- DEP Alumni are part of a national network of 4,500 directors and over 12,000 ICD members across Canada.
- A dynamic learning environment rich with peer-to-peer insights, director dilemmas, board and committee simulations, and case studies.
- Acclaimed faculty - taught by national and local academics, seasoned directors and leading governance experts.
- Offers expanded networking opportunities with the highest level of professionals locally and nationally.
- Flexible scheduling - modules may be taken in any of the eleven cities where the DEP is offered.
- First step towards the ICD.D designation upon completion of a written examination and a board meeting simulation chaired and vice-chaired by some of Canada's most senior directors.
- Non-members of the ICD receive a complimentary one-year membership upon application.
- The ICD is a founding member of the Global Network of Director Institutes, opening the door to the global director community.
Registration for this session is now closed. Sign up for our email newsletter to be the first to hear about program updates from the James W. Burns Executive Education Centre.
- April 18-20, 2021
Module I: Guiding Strategic Direction and Risks
- June 6-8, 2021
Module II: Monitoring Financial Strategy, Risks and Disclosure
- September 19-21, 2021
Module III: Guiding Human Performance
- December 12-14, 2021
Module IV: Assessing Enterprise Risk and Directing Extreme and Unique Events
- The Institute of Corporate Directors handles all program applications. Enrolment is limited and admission criteria apply. For more information, visit the Institute of Corporate Directors website.