Please note that this is not a project management program. Project management is a rich and complex domain, and we offer other courses specifically for project managers. This program is for executives and managers who want to take the concept of a “project steering committee” and turn it into a fully-fledged governance structure that creates an environment where project managers will thrive.
Why this program?
Bad decisions threaten projects and can push them over the edge into failure. We sometimes hear stories of failed projects that ran off the rails and it was too late to course-correct. This rarely “just happened”. There were always signs along the way that the project was in trouble, but they went unheeded.
Good project governance positions your projects for success, whereas a lack of project governance is a key contributor to failed projects. Project governance ensures that projects fit the strategy and needs of the organization, offer value for money, and have a reasonable likelihood of success.
You’ll learn how to structure project governance to engage and represent stakeholders while still optimizing the decision-making process. This course explains how project boards, advisory groups, working groups and the project team work together to deliver those results the business really needs. You’ll learn the purpose of each group, who belongs in the groups, and the roles and responsibilities of those involved. We’ll also explore how to scale and flex the governance model to accommodate projects of varying size and risk. Using real-world examples, and drawing on your own experiences, you’ll learn what works and what common pitfalls to avoid.
Through this program, you will:
- Understand the principles of effective governance of projects
- Know how to structure an effective governance layer, tailored to fit project size and risk
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of those involved in project governance
- Be able to work effectively within a project governance framework; know how to establish and improve a project governance framework
Who should attend?
This program is directly relevant to executives and business managers who:
- Must ensure projects are aligned with organizational strategy and deliver value for money
- Are involved with project boards, steering committees, advisory groups, and working groups
- Make high-level, strategic decisions about projects; are responsible for establishing or improving their organization’s project oversight function
- Want to improve their organization’s success rate for project delivery; are stakeholders in projects
This program will also interest project managers who wish to understand the executive perspective.
Professional Development Units (PDUs)
Completion of this program qualifies for 14 Project Management Institute (PMI) Professional Development Units (PDUs).
Pierre Doyle, M.Sc., PMP
Pierre Doyle has managed and overseen projects and project teams across a variety of industries for over 30 years. Pierre has a master’s degree in computer science from the University of Manitoba and holds the Project Management Professional (PMP) designation. After working in industry for 30 years, in multiple countries, Pierre now works as a consultant and trainer specializing in project management and project governance.
Navigate through the tabs below for more information on each session and to register.
Fall 2021 session
Do you have 10 or more team members who would benefit from taking this program? Many of our open enrolment programs can be customized for your team and delivered exclusively to your organization. Find out more about our custom programs by contacting us today at 204-946-0232 or via email at ExecEdInfo@umanitoba.ca.