Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Aerospace engineers research, design and develop aerospace vehicles, aerospace systems and their components, and perform duties related to their testing, evaluation, installation, operation and maintenance. They are employed by aircraft and spacecraft manufacturers, air transport carriers, and in government and educational and research institutions. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - detailed occupational information (U.S)
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Day in the life of an Aerospace Engineer - The Princeton Review
- Aerospace Engineering Overview - Sloan Career Cornerstone Center
- Career Explorer by Sokanu - occupational profile and videos (U.S.)
- Careers in Space - Engineers - roles and types of Engineers working in the space sector - from the Canadian Space Agency
- Careers in Aerospace - overview of occupations from Manitoba Aerospace Association
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
Exploring Other Education Options
Information for foreign-trained Aerospace Engineers - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook- Job outlook for the U.S.
- Engineers Salary Survey - Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba
- EngScape (Engineers Canada microsite) - labour market trends for the engineering profession
- Aerospace Industry Reports (select 'Projects & Reports') - Manitoba Aerospace Association
- Canada's Best Jobs 2018: The Top 25 - Aerospace Engineer (#21) - Canadian Business magazine
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba (EGM)
- Canadian Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Canadian Engineering Regulatory Organizations - Engineers Canada
- Engineering Institute of Canada
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- National Society of Professional Engineers (U.S.)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Association of Consulting Engineering Companies - Manitoba
- Manitoba Aerospace Association - member companies
- Aerospace Industries Association of Canada - member directory
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Career Opportunities - EGM
- EngineeringCareers.ca - Engineering Institute of Canada
- Black Engineers of Canada - Career Centre
- StellarJobs - space research and technology job board (international)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Jobs & internships in the space sector - Canadian Space Agency
External resources that will provide you with additional information about the occupation, areas of work and opportunities to build experience:
- University of Manitoba Engineering Student Groups
- UMSATS - University of Manitoba Space Applications and Technology Society (student group)
- Women In Science & Engineering (WISE) Kid-Netic Energy - University of Manitoba
- Black Engineers of Canada
- Canadian Space Agency
- Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute
- Aerospace America - magazine from the AIAA
- The Engineering Institute of Canada
- Canadian Coalition of Women in Engineering, Science, Trades and Technology
- Engineering Career Guide- articles, graduate profiles and industry info from TalentEgg.ca
- Discover Engineering Online
- Engineers Without Borders Canada
- Global Grand Challenges of Engineering - National Academy of Engineering