University Health Service
The University of Manitoba has two health clinics that provide the effective, patient-centered, collaborative, multidisciplinary primary care required for the success and well-being of UM students, faculty and staff.
UHS on Fort Garry campus is now open for telephone consultations. An appointment for these virtual appointments can be booked by calling 204-474-8411 8:30 am - 4:15 pm, Monday to Friday.
University Health Service (UHS) Bannatyne clinic opened in October 2020. Rady Faculty of Health Sciences students can receive in-person or remote services.
P309 – Pathology Building
Monday to Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm*
*Hours may vary due to COVID-19 restrictions and staffing. Phones are closed from 12:30pm-1:30pm.
UHS on Fort Garry campus sustained significant damage and is under construction. A temporary clinic on the Fort Garry campus will be opening in early 2021 for in person visits.
We are now able to offer virtual appointments where appropriate. We will ensure that patients have enough of their prescription to last until they can safely be assessed either virtually or in person.
- While the office is closed, we are offering virtual appointments via the telephone.
- UHS will continue to review laboratory results and will contact patients as needed with results.
- UHS will continue to work on pending referral appointments once we are able.
- If you are in need of prescription refills, please contact your pharmacy and they will fax or call the medical staff to fill your prescriptions.
As a reminder, UHS has an on call service which can be reached at 204-474-8411 and is staffed 24 hours a day.
COVID-19 Resource List
Mental Health Supports
*Free counselling support over the phone for students.
- EMPOWER ME 24-hour line, 1-844-741-6389 (multi-lingual)
- ADAM SUPPORT LINE, 204-925-0600 (9 am-9 pm weekdays, 10 am-4 pm weekends)
- Aulneau Renewal COVID 19 Wellness Check, Learn how to register here.
- LIMINAL SPACE THERAPY, 204-799-3806 or 204-290-5165 (5 PM-7 PM weekdays, anytime on weekends)
- SARA Riel Inc. SENECA SERVICES, 24-hour peer support line 204-231-0217 or 204-942-9276
- KIDS HELP PHONE 24/7 Text Connect to 686868 to connect to a Crisis Responder or Call 1-800-668-6868
- Klnic Crisis Line 24/7 Call 204-786-8686 or toll free 1-888-322-3019
- Student Counselling Centre to book an intake appointment call 204-474-8592
*For tips on staying well during COVID-19 you can access information at the student counselling center here.
Housing, food and daily life supports
- WINNIPEG HARVEST FOOD BANK call the emergency food line at 204-982-3660 or visit their website for more information here.
- AGAPE TABLE provides $1 or free breakfast and has a foodbank. Monday to Friday from 8:00 am – 10:30 am. Located at 364 Furby Street. Contact at 204-786-2370 or find more information here.
- OAK TABLE provides free lunch service Mon- Thur between 11 am – 3 pm. Located at 109 Pulford Street. Find more information here.
- HELP NEXT DOOR is a Winnipeg organization made up of local volunteers. You can seek help or volunteer. Find information and apply here.
- MA MAWI WI CHI ITATA CENTRE INC. for emergency supplies of food, basic sanitary needs, baby needs. 9 am – 7 pm weekdays, 9 am-4 pm weekends
- Call McGregor location at 204-925-0330/204-925-6816 or Spence location at 204-925-0352/204-925-0348
- YOUR CELL PHONE AND COVID 19 for information on what various phone companies may be offering during this time click here.
- COMPUTERS FOR KIDS is providing free access to computers for families who do not have them. For more information check here.
- STUDIO CENTRAL – URBAN ARTS CENTRE supports mental health in the community through art. See their Facebook page for daily videos on various art lessons and activities.
- ACTIVE LIVING CENTRE is providing online workout videos for while you are at home. To access subscribe to UofMRecServices on youtube.com.
- CareMongering-Winnipeg Community Response to COVID 19 is a Facebook group that provides daily information on local resources. It is a public group and anyone can join.
*all three listed below are available for both international students, Permanent Residents and Canadian citizens
- USMU HEALTH AND DENTAL PLAN provides coverage for 80% of all prescribed medications up to $10,000.00 or covers the MB Pharmacare deductible. Find information here.
- Individuals are encouraged to ask banks, and other financial institutions for deferred payment plans at this time.
- Employment Income Assistance – provincial program to assist with rent, food, life costs if you have no employment *only available for Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Rent Assist – is available for those on EIA and individuals/families working in certain income levels *only available for Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents
- Non-EIA Rent Assist contacts are 1-204-948-7369 or 1-877-587-6224 (toll free) or email here.
- Find program information here.
- Download Non-EIA Rent Assist Application Form here and Direct Deposit Form here.
- Pharmacare –for information on how to apply for this during the pandemic get info here.
- Neighbors Helping Neighbors, MB Hydro Program – assistance for paying utility bills *Available for Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents and international students
- Contact at 1-204-949-2106
- Find program information here.
FEDERAL – CANADA’s COVID 19 Economic Response Plan
- Individual/Family Supports on GST, Child Tax Benefit and Income Tax, Mortgage Support, moratorium on Canadian Student Loans and the New Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).
*Available for Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Unclear at this time if it applies to international students. Will update as new information is provided.
Our doctors, nurses and support staff provide a range of medical services including
- treatment of chronic and short-term health concerns,
- regular check-ups,
- pregnancy care,
- travel health counselling and immunizations,
- diagnosis and treatment of mental health concerns and
- health promotion programming.
University Health Service
104 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellor's Circle
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada
University Health Service - Bannatyne campus
P309 - Pathology Building
770 Bannatyne Ave.
A physician will be available by telephone for emergencies after hours and on weekends at 204-474-8411. The doctor you speak to will be a physician from the University Health Service.
How to make an appointment
To book an appointment, phone us at 204-474-8411 or visit our reception desk in person at 104 University Centre. Please let us know whether you would like a short appointment, for a single medical concern, or a longer appointment, for a general physical examination or counselling session. Typical office visits are scheduled for 15 minutes and complete physicals are 30 minutes.
If you are a student from Bannatyne campus, please inform us when making your appointment. We have set aside specific appointment times at the beginning and the end of each day for students not based on the Fort Garry campus.
We believe that you will receive the best care if you maintain contact with one primary physician. Please try to call in advance to book an appointment with your doctor. Travel health counselling and immunizations are available at a charge. Please fill out a travel information form available at the front desk and drop it off two weeks prior to your appointment.
Same day appointments
Depending on our doctors' availability, we reserve a limited number of appointments for same-day bookings. If you are sick and want to see a doctor right away, please book an appointment by phoning us or coming to our office when the clinic opens at 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Same-day appointments are filled on a “first come, first serve” basis, and no more appointments will be available once each day’s appointments are booked.
Cancellations and missed appointments
If you must cancel or are running late for your appointment please call us at 204-474-8411.
If you miss an appointment or arrive more than half way through your scheduled appointment time, you will be charged $50 for an office visit or $100 for a longer appointment. These are the recommended fees approved by Doctors Manitoba. We have reserved a specific amount of time for your appointment, so if you are late, the doctor will not have enough time to provide the best care possible.
We will contact you if your test results are abnormal or concerning. If we have not contacted you, it usually means that your results were normal. However, if we have not contacted you and you would like your results, please contact us at 204-474-8411 to speak to a nurse or to book a follow up appointment with your physician.
Fees and insurance
UHS provides a number of medical and administrative services which are not covered by Manitoba Health or other provincial or independent medical insurance plans. These services will be billed directly to the patient as follows:
|Sick notes/certificate of fitness forms||$25.00|
|Nursing, pre-op, driving and related forms||$35.00|
|Request for accommodation form||$75.00|
|Authorized withdrawal form||$75.00|
|Disability forms||Minimum $35.00|
|Insurance forms||Minimum $35.00|
|Transfer of medical records||$25.00 - $200.00|
Please feel free to discuss these charges with your health care provider or other University Health Service staff member.
We accept payment in the form of cash only.
Clinical service fees for uninsured patients
If you are not covered by Manitoba Health, the Manitoba International Student Health Plan or another insurance provider, the following fees apply.
|Office Visit (15 min)||$50.00|
|Office Visit for Faculty of Nursing||$40.00|
|Complete Physical (30 min)||$100.00|
|Driver's License Exam and Form||$135.00|
|Travel consultation (does not include the cost of any immunizations or injections needed)||$80.00|
|Immunizations given by nurse (vaccine supplied by client)||$15.00|
|Mantoux test given by nurse (includes injection of PPD [supplied by UHS] and reading of test 48-72 hours later)||$40.00|
|Flu vaccines given by nurse||$30.00|
Service fees in accordance with the Doctor's Manitoba approved uninsured services manual.
University Centre Pharmacy
Visit the UC pharmacy to purchase over-the-counter medications, talk to a pharmacist or have your prescriptions filled without leaving campus.